Save A Dive Kit - ideas and experience?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hotpuppy

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Howdy,
I'm assembling my own gear kit and I know it will take time to get it right. One of the things I think is important is my own save-a-dive kit. I chose to build it from scratch to make sure the right things are inside. I looked at some of the off the shelf "kits" and decided to build my own with LDS input. I'm hoping others will have some ideas on things I should consider. Part of the turn off to a pre-built kit was that it had things I would never use or that might not fit my gear....

I started with a waterpoof dive box in safety green. My thinking is that Safety green will be easy to find if it should happen to escape from my gear bag or try to hide in my truck. I added a velcro style mask strap to it.

I will eventually add:
tank o-rings
mouthpiece for regulators/snorkel
zip ties
copy of my Certification number and DAN Member # / Info and emergency contact info in case someone else needs that info for me.

I thought about:
- fin strap - but was told scubapro seawing fins don't usually break straps
- dive computer battery - but was concerned it would go stale on me before I used it and that it would be better to just keep an eye on it and replace it periodically.

What else should I consider adding to my kit?

Tools to take off hoses and change port plugs are very useful. I carry a variety of o-rings, including the ones that fit on regulator hoses, DIN and yoke tank o-rings, and a spare spindle for SPGs. I also have fin straps and mask straps in my save-a-dive kit, although I use springs and slap straps. Remember you will have a buddy, and your buddy may break or lose something that would mean YOU wouldn't get to dive. I carry a spare set of wet gloves for the same reason.

Zip ties are very useful as well. I also carry a couple of big rubber bands and a couple of brass boltsnaps, to help folks who have no way to secure their consoles. A spare octo holder (if you use one) is not a bad thing to have, either.

Don't forget the Duct tape and Bonding Putty!

Just look at your gear, if it is flexible or brittle, or may fail/break at an inopportune time (as if there are opportune times) then you should throw one in your kit.

If it is something you don't use on your gear, than don't waste the time to buy it, carry it, and eventually throw it away.

And while the duct tape and putty suggestions are nice, if you realistically cannot figure out exactly when and how you would use it, then all the McGyver-like ingredients in the world won't help you.

Make the kit yours.

If it is something you don't use on your gear, than don't waste the time to buy it, carry it, and eventually throw it away.

I've saved a lot more dives fixing other people's equipment than I have mine.

I've saved a lot more dives fixing other people's equipment than I have mine.

Ain't that the truth!

Where is Team Bunny with their save a dive, save a dive kit. Cave line can replace a cam band :D

I personally have a save a boat, dive kit. Got spark plugs? Adjustable wrenchs, valve core remover, DSS inflator tool, DSS tank valve tool, small screw driver, replaceable bit ratcheting screwdriver, multi-meter, lots of zip ties in different styles and colors! with metal tanged ones, duct tape, aqua seal, cotol, super glue, tribolube 71, silicon, stainless clips and double enders, blowgun, boat inflator fittings, cord for a scooter harness, different sizes of bungee cord, bike inner tube sections, chapstick, tank yoke adapters, probably 100 o-rings, HP spool, weight belt keepers, tire inflator, along with a number of things I am probably missing.

Where is Team Bunny with their save a dive, save a dive kit. Cave line can replace a cam band :D

Lol, that was perhaps not one of our finer moments, but it did work :)

We have massively redundant save-a-dive kits, which we get away for shore diving and liveaboards because we have space in the car/bunkrooms. I carry whatever I can fit in a Craftsman 17" toolbox, including:

1. #24 Nylon line
2. Lighter and superglue
3. Bungee cord, various diameter
4. Zipties
5. Duct tape (great for neck seal fixes)
6. Extra bolt snaps and double-enders
7. Akaline batteries (for backup lights)
8. Straps (mask, fins, bottom timer wrist strap)
9. Electrical tape
10. Black and silver sharpies
11. Scissors and razor
12. LP and HP port plugs
13. Metric/imperial allen wrenches
14. Two adjustable crescent wrenches
15. O-rings
16. O-ring lube and spare o-ring for camera housing
17. Electrical tape
18. RTV
19. Spare drygloves, spare caths
20. Spare bolts and washers for backplate
21. DIN-to-Yoke plug
22. DIN-to-yoke adapter
23. Spare OPV
24. Pocket multimeter
25. Spare LP inflator hose
26. Screwdrivers and pliers
27. Logbook and extra cert card (in case I forget my main c-card)
28. To-bring checklist (for boats, multi-day dives)
29. Sunblock
30. Pressure gauge
31. IP gauge
32. Spare ziplocks
33. Fill whip

Most likely larger than your average save-a-dive-kit, but if you have room in the car for a small toolbox, why not?

Well, my spare mask is in my pocket, not my save-a-dive kit :)

31. IP gauge I actually keep mine in my dive bin since it gets used every day.
19. Spare drygloves, spare caths Also stays in my dive bin

Forgot these items that are in my kit:
22. DIN-to-yoke adapter
13. Metric/imperial allen wrenches
12. LP and HP port plugs
2. Lighter

More stuff:
Razor knife and a razor blade
Flares
Ball point pen
Inflator fill button insert <technical term

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/