Save A Dive Kit - ideas and experience?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most of the above, plus... Over the past year I have had two instances where somone's regulator leaked air or freeflowed and could not be fixed on the boat. So now I carry a spare regulator.

This thread inspired me to clean, sort, re-stock my Sav-a-Dive kit. Here is what is stuffed in my small drybox:

mask strap
fin strap & buckles
zipties
silicone grease
silicone spray
mouth piece
octo-holder
defog drops
chem. Light sticks
dive multi-tools
o-rings in all sizes
dental picks
port plugs
Din to Yoke adapter (in the reg bag)
bungee cord
spare hair bands & barrettes
spare MiFlex LP hose w/ extra QR attachment (when not in use for drysuit )
Zipper wax & Talc
nail clipper & nail file
tweezers (ask my pal Matt about falling butt first on seaurchins)
Afrin nasal spray & Dramamine

I also carry a small First aid kit and 1-2 spare masks.

And on local diving or with students, a spare regulator.

And every item has come in handy at least once or been added due to a need in the past year.

Last edited:
nail clipper & nail file
Afrin nasal spray & Dramamine

Ah yes, how could I forget? I've got sudafed (rarely used) and dramamine, clippers, and also extra earplugs (in case I forget to pack them for liveaboards) too, though the last one is more of a save-a-sleep item :)

I am very over the top when it comes to my save a dive kit...., in addition to most of the stuff already mentioned, I bring a backup dive bag with an almost complete setup, (sometime minus an extra suit). I also have a lot of stuff I don't even need my self, but you find stuff along the way that might be useful to someone in need...

The extra bag doesn't always make it to the dive site but stays in the car unless someone needs something.

Papabear, with the exception of the spare reg & masks, my list fits in an 8x5 drybox in my suitcase and flies with my scuba gear...2lbs total. Worth salvaging a dive for me or my dive bud.

Just look at your gear, if it is flexible or brittle, or may fail/break at an inopportune time (as if there are opportune times) then you should throw one in your kit.

I would hope that if something looks brittle that most divers would be responsible and simply replace it. Catastrophic failure is rarely the occurence of one thing, it is normally an additive event that relies on several bad things occuring in succession.....

Such as ignoring that your hose was cracked and diving when you didn't feel well in a strange place. Then finding that your BC hose breaks at about the time you lose a fin and your buddy is preoccupied doing love bumps with firal coral, trying to harass a puffer fish, or feeding fingers to eels.

Papabear, with the exception of the spare reg & masks, my list fits in an 8x5 drybox in my suitcase and flies with my scuba gear...2lbs total. Worth salvaging a dive for me or my dive bud.

Your list is really similar to what I was thinking...... and I really appreciate everyone's ideas. It made me think of a few things that should be there .... like dental picks for fishing stubborn o-rings out. Really great stuff that will help me to be better prepared.

I pretty much restrict myself to zip-ties (called cable ties down here), duct tape and o-rings. Haven't lost a dive yet through equipment failure, although it can be awkward using a fin secured by duct tape.

I kind of subscribe to the old philosophy that if you can't fix it with a hammer and duct tape, it must be an electrical problem.

i WEAR a second mask in a case while i dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom