Save the whaleshark capital of the world

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Katrien and others, thanks for bringing this to the attention of more people. I'd like to travel to Australia one day and respectfully dive the reefs. Hoping they are still around when I get there.

joe

Thanks to Katrien for bringing this issue to our attention, and I just received this e-mail:

"Special E-Newsletter - Ningaloo Coast Edition
Ningaloo Reef is one of the world’s great natural wonders.

Today I announced that plans for a resort-style marina development at Maud’s Landing have been rejected.

It is our responsibility to protect the Ningaloo Coast for future generations. We must now ensure people from all over the world are able to enjoy the area without damaging it. Soon I will be releasing a land use and tourism plan for the coast and will ask you for your views.

My decision to reject the resort development was made following EPA advice that the “environmental risks and management needs for the proposal have not been demonstrated to be environmentally acceptable”.

I believe the 280km coral reef is an environmental icon of state, national and international significance and I will now fast-track a push for it to be granted World Heritage status.

The WA Government is committed to the protection and proper management of the Ningaloo Coast and we are considering a range of future management structures, including the creation of a new body along the lines of the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority or the Rottnest Island Authority.

We are also considering extending the current marine park’s boundaries.

I will soon email you more information about how you can have your say on the future management of this spectacular area.

Yours sincerely

Dr Geoff Gallop MLA
Premier of Western Australia

P.S. If you do not already receive regular editions of my weekly e-newsletter and would like to, please click subscribe. If you want to write to me about any issue, please email wa-government@dpc.wa.gov.au."

sapphire :)

PLEASE send Dr Gallop a thank you email. Politicians need to be encouraged to keep doing the right thing. There are PLENTY of people pushing the other way....

He needs to know that his decision is appreciated all over the world.

Grajan once bubbled...
PLEASE send Dr Gallop a thank you email. Politicians need to be encouraged to keep doing the right thing. There are PLENTY of people pushing the other way....

He needs to know that his decision is appreciated all over the world.

I will definitely do that! Thanks!

sapphire

Looks like they stopped the development for now! I got this a little to late, but I went ahead and sent a thank you letter.

Thanks so much for letting us know about this!

There is a new Ningaloo website here.

it would be good if as many people as possible sent a 'thank you' note to Dr Gallop. It was a brave decision that needs reinforcing with gratitude.

These fights are never REALLY over.....

I am pleasantly surprised.

Ningaloo is incredible. It's so remote really. The town there, Exmouth, is tiny and it's on the inside of the cape, so you have to drive up to the tip and down the other side of the cape to get to the reef. I guess that's why they want a resort so that more people can be accomodated right at the reef.

But at the moment, there's nothing on the coast facing the reef and when you're out there on a boat all you can see on land is gorges and outback. Amazing. Buildings would definitely spoil it. Fantastic camping.

I remember when I was there June 2002 or thereabouts. There were days where the water was literally boiling with life. There were mantas, baitballs where you could lean over the side of the boat and watch the sharks feeding, massive groups of spinner dolphins. All before we even got to the whaleshark snorkelling which was usually in fantastic visibility. On the way home, and between whalesharks there were humpback whales to be accompanied (usually with a calf). You would be looking out to sea and suddenly a humpback would breach. What a day! I can't believe it was just a year ago, seems so much longer.

Dear dear Annie,

I read your letter and I was there again. For me it has been six years ago, but I remember everything like it was yesterday. I felt just like jou. Eden is here, right here. Where it started, or the last piece of it that remains.
Snorkeling at Coral Bay, diving the pier and the Murion Islands, snorkeling with te biggest fish in the world with his funny white spots and enormous tail...
Snorkeling with the manta was one of the most intens moments of my life. Today, his picture is still hanging in my living room as a poster.

Thank god that they won't build this "monstro city". The Western Australian Premier is even starting a procedure now to get the cape on the world heritage listing and to arrange all company's and accomodation. (Finally a decent sewer for Coral bay so that the waistwater doesn't pollute the reef anymore.)
Honestly I hope that they won't build too much accomodation at Exmouth either, It would defenitly take out the magic of the place.

Anyway, here're some pictures for those who try to imagine what it's like over there.
Thank god it's saved!:D

Very kind regards,
Katrien

Guys...that sounds so beautiful:D! I MUST go! I'm putting this on my list of "things to do in my lifetime".

Great pics. too!

Back
Top Bottom