Saw a DAN Doc for Asthma Clearance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deb In Venice:
Today, I was finally able to have my PFT (Pulmonary Function Test).

...the tech said my lungs performed really well

Great news, so far!

Deb In Venice:
He said, that in his opinion, based on the results, I could get by without letting the Scuba instructor know that I am asthmatic. Of course, I stated that even though my asthma is produced by allergens, I was afraid to be off diving somewhere where those allergens were more plentiful (L. A. is very good for me) and end up having a problem. He agreed with me.

I don't think that it is ever a good idea to keep this type of information from your instructor. Maybe he meant that your tests came out so well, that it would almost be like someone without asthma taking the class and that as a result, it's almost not worth mentioning.

If the doc clears you to dive, then I don't think any instructor would have a problem teaching you, but it would still be good for them to know, just in case.

Deb In Venice:
BTW, I performed some of the tests before and after using an inhaler, which I've never used before, and didn't really notice any difference in my lung function.

So, I'll be back next week to report on the PFO and the PTF final results. Wish me luck!

This all sounds good, so far. Maybe we'll be looking at the future "Ms. Cousteau: Explorer Extraordinaire(sp?)"!

Take care and keep us posted, so that we all know if we're going to get to have a new dive buddy.

Christian

headhunter:
Great news, so far!

I don't think that it is ever a good idea to keep this type of information from your instructor. Maybe he meant that your tests came out so well, that it would almost be like someone without asthma taking the class and that as a result, it's almost not worth mentioning.

Christian

I agree with you. I'm sure that's how he meant it as well.

I know all of this testing is a necessary step and I'm glad I'm having them. I just wish the process would move along a little faster.

On the positive side, I'm getting to read a lot of the posts here on Scubaboard, so I feel much more prepared for what to expect from a class and from diving in general. Posts I read my first couple of weeks that made no sense are much more clear now. I've also started reading the Navy manual you sent me and am learning a lot from it.

Thanks for the support. I will let you know about the need for a buddy.

Deb In Venice:
BTW, I performed some of the tests before and after using an inhaler, which I've never used before, and didn't really notice any difference in my lung function.

This was your first time using an inhaler?? Hard to believe you're an asthmatic! :) Either you've been suffering without appropriate rescue meds or treatment, or you have very mild, situational obstruction!

Best of luck w/ the next phase,
Jim

GoBlue!:
This was your first time using an inhaler?? Hard to believe you're an asthmatic! :) Either you've been suffering without appropriate rescue meds or treatment, or you have very mild, situational obstruction!

Best of luck w/ the next phase,
Jim

Believe me, I am. When I was younger and lived in the Mojave Desert at Edwards AFB (I'm a brat), I was sick all-of-the-time! Lots of allergens out there. In those days, aside from the twice weekly allgery shots, when I had an attack, I was given my meds in pill form (Tedral). Today, when I have an occassional attack, I still use a pill (OTC Bronkaid). Not as fast acting as I understand inhalers are but I'm used to the pills.

My asthma has mellowed quite a bit as I have gotten older and the L. A. area is really good for me. I don't even have problems with the smog.

Thanks for the good luck wish... I'll use it! :wink:

Ooof... Hearing "Bronkaid" was like a punch in the gut. :wink: I believe that's an oral formulation of epinephrine, which is very, very outdated as asthma treatments go. If you ask me, I think it's irresponsible that such products continue to be sold over the counter (e.g., Primatine mist), as they're far more dangerous than many meds that require prescription.

Lucky for you, it sounds like you have very rare attacks. Should you have more, please make sure your primary care physician treats your asthma appropriately.

When I had a general medicine clinic, I found it so much fun to treat asthma. One of my most-remembered cases from those few years was a police officer who had severe asthma that he had been treating with OTC epinephrine several times per day. He was unable to run down criminals because of his breathing, was having frequent palpitations, and he finally sought attention. Within two months of appropriate therapy, he was only needing his rescue inhaler once/week with exertion at most, and was back to catchin' the crooks of Detroit. :wink:

Glad to hear you're not that bad off. :wink: Sorry you had to suffer through a childhood of popping ephedrine/phenobarbital/theophylline pills. Realizing that none of those meds are part of the modern-day asthma armamentarium (with the exception of the very, very occasional use of theophylline), it's really too bad more wasn't known about the pathogenesis of asthma back then...

For others reading this that may not be familiar with exactly what asthma is, one good source is the NHLBI's site.

Jim

GoBlue!:
Ooof... Hearing "Bronkaid" was like a punch in the gut. :wink: I believe that's an oral formulation of epinephrine, which is very, very outdated as asthma treatments go. If you ask me, I think it's irresponsible that such products continue to be sold over the counter (e.g., Primatine mist), as they're far more dangerous than many meds that require prescription.
Yeah, those killer jitters are no fun. I have been known to take just 1/2 a pill because I hate the side effects.

I must admit that having asthma made me the type of person who never did drugs or smoked. I HATE not feeling "normal".

Lucky for you, it sounds like you have very rare attacks. Should you have more, please make sure your primary care physician treats your asthma appropriately.
Prior to my Ecocardiogram and Pulmonay Function testing, I did tell the DAN doc about the Bronkaid. He told me then that when we go over my test results he wants to switch me to something more appropriate that would not make me so shaky. I'm guessing that will be an inhaler when needed.

When I had a general medicine clinic, I found it so much fun to treat asthma.
I could swear I just read the words "fun" and "asthma" in the same sentence. Maybe I'm having an attack right now and it's making my vision blurry! :11:

Heck, I was a miserable theophylline-kid too! :)
Well then, I'm in good company! :D

no s**t, phenobarb? really? how does that work? I've never heard of it being used for asthma.

babar

babar:
no s**t, phenobarb? really? how does that work? I've never heard of it being used for asthma.

babar
Phenobarb was used in the 'bad old days' as a cough suppressant (by way on central respiratory depression)!

babar:

babar
Look here.

I'm pretty sure it isn't used anymore for asthma treatment. It's contraindicated in severe cases but I'm not sure about 'mild' ones. My guess is something better has replaced its use.

Phenobarbital is not used at all anymore for asthma treatment. It was a common part of combo-pills in the 70's (usually ephedrine/phenobarbital/theophylline). Theophylline is rarely used now for asthma (usually as a 4th or 5th line agent, if then), and the other two are not used at all.

Most of the medical literature describing the use of phenobarbital for asthma was in the early 70's, if you're interested.

Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom