Saw a hammerhead today! WooHoo!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, Spratman you're wrong on a few things. I was diving twin double AL 80's and had redundant everything. The dive was completely on air and, yes there was considerable deco times. I make this dive with one instructor with doubles per diver. And yes there is a serious screening process to make this dive with me. It IS deep, it IS dangerous,...it is NOT for everybody. :D Its absolutely no different than deep cave penetration. All the equipment and the tech side of it are about the same.

My apologies then. However, all I saw was divers with the Hammerhead with single tanks. You said that you were with it @190', so I was basing my comments on what I observed in the video. So, the other diver's were diving 150ft with single AL 80's?

I still would not be diving deep air. But that's just me. You'd be narc'd out of your gourd....

This is and updated version of last week's encounter with a hammerhead. The assisting Deep Instructor was Sean Richardson. Also strapped with doubles, he too carried a camera. He's shooting a 3 chip Sony. Thoughts on the comparison of quality of each would be good. He's a 3 year vetern videographer....let's see how it looks! :popcorn:

Well, Spratman you're wrong on a few things. I was diving twin double AL 80's and had redundant everything. The dive was completely on air and, yes there was considerable deco times. I make this dive with one instructor with doubles per diver. And yes there is a serious screening process to make this dive with me. It IS deep, it IS dangerous,...it is NOT for everybody. :D Its absolutely no different than deep cave penetration. All the equipment and the tech side of it are about the same.

..........:rofl3:......... sorry just could not control my LOL from all the BS above. Dude, get the proper training (based on your SB bio) before you become another statistic,,,I don't care how long you say you've been diving or that you are a recreational scuba instructor (which should have more sense), pulling those stunts will eventually catch up with you! IMHO.

The first video lists three "guest divers." Was one of these divers also the instructor with doubles?

What is your screening process?

If it IS dangerous, why don't your "guest divers" have "redundant everything" as well?

It is TOTALLY different than deep cave penetration. I don't know of any cave instructor that takes untrained divers on deep cave dives, especially without everyone wearing the proper equipment. In fact, the "Golden Rules of Accident Analysis" include:

Training (appropriate for the dive)
Air (Gas supply with sufficient reserve for the dive carried by each diver)
Depth (not exceeding the depth they are trained/experienced for)

I personally find it a bit reckless to post things that encourage this type of diving behavior and make it seem as if it's "ok" as long as you're with a guide.

To each their own I guess.

Just a few comments.

If your diving doubles on air in the 150's I honosly don't see the big deal, warm clearn water, redundant gas, your responsible for yourself. Hell even 200 feet on air, I wouldn't do it but hey, your a big boy and hopefully your aware of the risks, its your *** so hey whatever.

Now taking single tank divers down... that burns my hide, its just opening the door for more of what this sport already has too much of, needless deaths and accidents.

I like how you say it IS deep and IS dangerous, maybe you should use the proper gear/training/gas and MOST important of all make sure anyone who does this dive with you has the proper gear and training so its NOT so dangerous.

Absolutely no different than deep cave penetration? Your clearly not cave trained.

For you, do whatever you want, but taking people down in single 80's, well man, I just hope you wise up before you get people killed or hurt.

I hate to see this kind of BS, seriously man listen to some of the advice your getting on this and other boards.

Diving is NOT an extreme sport I don't care what anyone says, if you think it is you need to hang up the fins and take up bungie jumping or something.

Technical diving isn't about thumpin on your chest, its about using smarts and technology AND learning from the past to be able to go beyond OW limits AS SAFELY AS POSSIBLE.

again, taking unprepaired divers on dives like this is wreckless, and its not your skin I'm worried about, its the naive diver that is putting their trust in you that I fear for.

Sad man, sad, this sport doesn't need guides like you, if your gonna do these dives leave the other divers on the boat.

I agree. Looks like a "trust me" dive. Singles on air that deep is not wise. No margin for error and sooner or later one of those carefully "screened" divers is going to run out of air.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom