scallop diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oleras

Reaction score
Hi there, i wonder can anyone help me with a query ?
BY law, do you need a fishing licence to bag scallops, or other shellfish for that matter?I live in Ireland and am unsure, dont want to break the law !! And if you do, why wouldent you need one for mussels, they are shellfish after all? (Maybe you do ?oopssssss):wink:

I know that in Florida, you need a saltwater fishing liscense to scallop.

Be sure to check the local fish & game regs, as they will be different everywhere, and are usually very specific.

The exact regs in California, for example, are;

Anyone 16 years of age or older must have a valid fishing liscense, with an ocean enhancment stamp for all waters south of Point Arguello. When diving from boat or shore, said liscense must be on the boat, or within 500 yards of shore.

Limit: 10 daily

Rock scallops may be taken only by hand, by the use of dive knives, or by devices commonly known as abalone irons in compliance with provisions of section 29.15(e).

To wit: Abalone irons must be less than 36 inches long, strait or with a curve having a radius of not less than 18", and must not be less than 3/4 of an inch wide nor less than 1/16 inch thick. All edges must be rounded and free from sharp corners or cutting edges.

The Pirate's code may be guidelines, but Fish and Game have rules! :D

California is very strict about their fish and game regs, and they change throughout the year, but I think the rules for scallops stay the same.

Be sure to clean them well (you only want the meat). There is a red tide in California that affects filter feeders. Scallop meat is fine though- or at least I'm still walking after last weekend.

I have 2003 California marine regulations on my table, now. It says:
29.60. Rock Scallops. (a) Limit: Ten. (b)Methods of take: Rock scallops may be taken only by hand, by use of dive knives or by devices commonly known as abalone irons in compliance with provisions of Section 29.15(e) of these regulations.
29.65. Speckled (bay) Scallops. May not be taken or possessed.
29.15 (e) OMG, gear provisions. Ablone irons must be less than 36 inches long, straight or with a curve ...

My $.02, take a close look at your local regulations.

Back
Top Bottom