Scalloping boundaries and good scalloping locations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jessica Anderson

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We just bought a house in Port Richey right on Miller's Bayou. We're super excited to go do some west coast diving/snorkeling/scalloping. But I'm confused about where the scalloping boundaries are.
I circled my new house (well the general location) on the map below. Can anyone tell me where the boundaries are for scalloping? And also where are some good spots for scalloping around Miller's Bayou/ Port Richey? Our previous scalloping adventures have always been out of Homosassa. Thanks for your help!
nXYgcj1QUhlWLt9FlwHBwzdEO59HJo7CnYRy5R-T5kF4JqvQl1pTl0jtIl2SmaIDibMnC03F5L3XjA9SGw=w1000-h497-no.png

The southern boundary is the Pasco/Hernando County Line. It is illegal to be in possession of scallops on your boat south of that line. If you decide to boat to the scallop grounds you need to offload them to someone on shore in Hernando County before heading home.

The southernmost point would be the Aripeka ramp, right on the Pasco/Hernando county line. But that channel can be very shallow at times and if you have a deep draft and are not familiar with it I wouldn't recommend it.

Hernando Beach is the next one north. Nice, recently dredged channel and good ramps, but a long idle speed only zone thru the residential area.

Bayport is the 3rd and most northern option in Hernando County. Decent channel, ramps are ok and a very short idle zone.

If you decide to go, I will be happy to meet at one of the ramps and take your scallops from you. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom