School Project on SCUBA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fly N Dive

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
i have a school project on scuba and am having a few problems. 1. i cant find any pics or diagrams about the bends. 2 i'm having a problem trying to figure out how to do a sample problem for Charles's Law.
Any Ideas are welcome, just trying to get everything right so i can educate people about scuba properly.
thanks,
FnD

I found an article on Chambers that may help you cuz it has a picture of the inside, and this is where the bends would be treated.

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/chamber.pdf

also maybe if you e-mail DAN (www.diversalertnetwork.com) and ask them if they can steer you to some photos of skin bends (visible rash on the skin related to decompression sickness aka the bends) and also maybe they would have some medical photos of what the gas bubbles look like in the bloodstream.

Hope this helps.

Fly N Dive:
Hey everyone,
2 i'm having a problem trying to figure out how to do a sample problem for Charles's Law.

FnD

Charles law states that the volume of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature in degrees Kelvin. If your audience is not familiar with the concept of degrees Kelvin, you'll have to introduce it. (The Kelvin scale is based on absolute temperature. Absolute zero is -273 degrees Celcius. Zero Celsius is +273 Kelvin. 5 degrees Celcius would be 273 + 5 degrees Kelvin)

Charles law, mathematically stated, says V1/T1 = V2/T2

Here's a sample problem: (A very simple one.)

A gas occupies a volume of 100 mL at 300 K (All temperatures have to be converted to Kelvins ). At what temperature will the gas have a volume of 200 mL?

So:

100/300 = 200/? Answer: 600 degrees Kelvin. (How many degrees Celcius would that be?)

A slightly harder one:

If the volume of a gas sample is 0.5 liters at 5 degrees C, what will be its volume at 80 Celsius.

5 degrees C = 273 + 5 = 278 degrees Kelvin.
80 degrees C = 273 + 0 = 353 degrees Kelvin.

So: V1/T1 = V2/T2

i.e. 0.5/278 = V2/353

therefore V2 = 0.5/278 x 353 = 0.63 liters

thanks guys

Back
Top Bottom