Schooling Hammerheads

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stirling

Contributor
Reaction score
A very long time ago, I used to dive around San Carlos and other spots in the northern half of the Sea of Cortez, and every year I saw enormous schools of scalloped hammerheads in (as I recall) May and June, especially around San Pedro Nolasco island and at a handful of other spots in the Sea of Cortez.

I haven't been back for a long time, but am planning to return this year, and have the impression from talking to other Arizona divers that the large schools of hammerheads around San Pedro island are not the common sight that they used to be.

Does anybody have any recent information about the best places and time of year to see this phenomenon?

Yonaguni (island south of Okinawa) in FEB, also you get to see some under water ruins said to be 8-10,000 years old!!!!

Rumor has it Hammerheads school at the Flower Gardens this time of year. Tried to go in Feb, but the seas were too high. I'm scheduled next month, so I'll let you know.

Mark

Just saw my first school of hammerheads at Layang Layang, Spratley Archipelago (7 degrees 15' N and 113 degrees 50' E) on 7 March 2005 at 38m depth.

Markdone:
Rumor has it Hammerheads school at the Flower Gardens this time of year. Tried to go in Feb, but the seas were too high. I'm scheduled next month, so I'll let you know.
The Sanctuary crowd made it out there two weeks back. No hammerheads sighted, 'cept for one dude that wandered off by himself and claims to have seen "one". Of course, the vis was awful.

Stirling:
A very long time ago, I used to dive around San Carlos and other spots in the northern half of the Sea of Cortez, and every year I saw enormous schools of scalloped hammerheads in (as I recall) May and June, especially around San Pedro Nolasco island and at a handful of other spots in the Sea of Cortez.

I haven't been back for a long time, but am planning to return this year, and have the impression from talking to other Arizona divers that the large schools of hammerheads around San Pedro island are not the common sight that they used to be.

Does anybody have any recent information about the best places and time of year to see this phenomenon?
Sterling -My wife and I dive off our sailboat 1-2 times a year(late spring and late sept) in the Sea of Cortez and we usually put in at San Carlos and spend alot of time at San Pedro Island about 17 miles NNW though we do dive other spots as far as 40 miles noth of San Carlos-But we've never seen a solitary hammerhead. Am I thinking of the wrong area, or wrong time of year??...Peace...Saildiver

saildiver:
Sterling -My wife and I dive off our sailboat 1-2 times a year(late spring and late sept) in the Sea of Cortez and we usually put in at San Carlos and spend alot of time at San Pedro Island about 17 miles NNW though we do dive other spots as far as 40 miles noth of San Carlos-But we've never seen a solitary hammerhead. Am I thinking of the wrong area, or wrong time of year??...Peace...Saildiver
That's the right area, and I remember thinking that late May and early June was the best time to see them schooling around San Pedro Island (but also up around Tiburon Island and at other seamounts). I remember when I first learned about this phenomenon I was told that it related to a mating season - I have no idea now whether that is correct, but it has stuck with me as one of those "factoids" that I will remember forever, even if I learn it isn't true.

And the reason I started this thread earlier is that, after thinking that I was just missing them because of the time of the year or for whatever reason, after asking around a lot, I now believe they aren't showing up any more. And the only reason I can see for that is that for some reason they just aren't out there in that part of the Sea of Cortez any more. I have seen single sharks, but not the schools that I used to see.

Lu Tao (Green Island), off the Southern coast of Taiwan has hammerhead migrations from around February until April. The dives are usually deep and in strong current, but worth it when you see all those hammers. I've been there three times now.

Go with Tung Lung Diving, the proprietor is one Mr. Yen who I reckon is half hammerhead himself. He also dives the most minimalist rig I have ever seen.

PM me for details if your interested.

Stirling:
That's the right area, and I remember thinking that late May and early June was the best time to see them schooling around San Pedro Island (but also up around Tiburon Island and at other seamounts). I remember when I first learned about this phenomenon I was told that it related to a mating season - I have no idea now whether that is correct, but it has stuck with me as one of those "factoids" that I will remember forever, even if I learn it isn't true.

And the reason I started this thread earlier is that, after thinking that I was just missing them because of the time of the year or for whatever reason, after asking around a lot, I now believe they aren't showing up any more. And the only reason I can see for that is that for some reason they just aren't out there in that part of the Sea of Cortez any more. I have seen single sharks, but not the schools that I used to see.
Sterling-I'm glad to know to be on the lookout now....interestingly,I HAD BEEN WONDERING IF A SCHOOL OF HAMMERHEADS THAT I SAW OVER 30 YEARS AGO HAD BEEN SEEN BY ANYONE ELSE RECENTLY(on the Hawaii o Hana thread) and amazingly enough,they are still being spotted....I am a little more worried about the cortez school though, with the very heavy fishing that goes on there, but I bet Gary at Gary's Dive shop in San Carlos Mex. would know....Peace...Saildiver.

Layang Layang!!! (April - May)

Went in mid-May, which is supposed to be "after the season", and was treated to 6 days on schooling HH's! One of the most amazing things I've ever seen diving...

A MUST for anynoe living close enough to make the trip (Singapore, KL, Bangkok, etc...) for anyone with the time/$$$ to travel.

Back
Top Bottom