Schrader Valve problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sergey Kirienko

Registered
Reaction score
hey all,
i didnt used long time my bcd gear, and now i wanted to use it once again and i discovered a small problem with my Schrader Valve home..

it seems like the plastic is broken and the valve it self went into the bcd's airbag.

i want to fix it somehow, but so far at the internet research that i made, i found nothing about it at all. wich is very sad :(

is there anyone who willing to tell me or show me a picture of how it supposed to work or how it supposed to be?

Not sure I completely understand. The schrader valve is usually in the the BCD hose so if it did break away it wouldn't go into the BCD as it would have to travel through the first stage or through the probe! Can you let us have some pictures of the problem and we can probably advise a bit better.

@sergey kirienko

I guess You are talking about the Schrader Valves you sometimes find in the inflators of Seaquest BCDs and others.

If you managed to brake those ( normally they are deep in the inflator, not so easy to reach), then the rests of them you should find in the corrugated hose or with quite some bad luck in the bladder.

But probably you didn't break it, but it just corroded that bad that it desintegrated, I have seen this before on BCDs which hadn't been used for long time and had not been washed properly after use in salt water.

The repair can be tricky, depending the location of the Schrader valve in the inflator and the extent of the corrosion.

A photo would be helpful.

Which brand is the BCD?

I do recall doing one of these before. Still can't see how the valve could get into the bag though?

Powrline Schematic.jpg

They went out of business in 2003 so it's definitely 10 years old. I have never seen one before. The part looks in great condition. It's the bag that appears to be the issue. If it were mine and I was desperate to use it and I found that I had a way of getting air into and out of the BCD without the valve I'd be plugging that hole with Tear Aid and using it without the fitting. It can't be for dumping air with a schrader in surely and, at bottom left, it's in the wrong position anyway. In your pictures I can see a 'funnel' at the bottom left of the BCD. I'm intrigued, particularly as it appears to be capped anyway?

Tear Aid can be found here. Tear-Aid Home It's great stuff. I use it for patching BCD's and RB counterlungs and torn neck and wrist seals. If you just require enough to fix that hole I'll send you some for free.

Thanks for the quick responce steveharriss!

all that you said helped me a lot.
but this is gonna be very hard to divie without the bottom valve to getting air out while diving in..

can you tell me how at normal bcds that valve works (on the right bottom corner)? or looks?
maybe ill be able to make one my self (since its a DIY project haha)

any shhematics like you showed me above would help..

I'm intrigued, particularly as it appears to be capped anyway?
haha well thats how i got the bcd anyways.. maybe the other person made his own diy project on this valve too and failed.. xD

thanks.

looks like a stud for the (once popular) CO2 inflator. Maybe just seal it off with the Tear-Aid? Maybe time for a new BC?????

looks like a stud for the (once popular) CO2 inflator. Maybe just seal it off with the Tear-Aid? Maybe time for a new BC?????

Well Bob, I think you won the what is this challenge for today.

The flat side is the giveaway, It keeps the CO2 detonator and cartridge in place with help from the fabric cover. The ones I have worked on had no Schrader valve, if you decided to remove the cartridge you would screw a plug, or used CO2 cartridge, into the detonator where the cartridge went, or cap off the fitting you have pictured in 36 because the CO2 cartridge was the only thing stopping it from leaking.

If that attachment to the bladder has aged and deteriorated to the point of failure, I'd carefully check the others before putting a lot of energy into a repair.

Just for fun, I would probably would fix it and try diving it, but I have a 50# lift bag I can take with me.

Bob
-------------------------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet

Back
Top Bottom