Scientific Diver Course in New Braunfels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ktenhusband

Reaction score
Has anyone done the Scientific Diver Course in New Braunfels? I understand that the course is pre-requisite to the others: Archeology, photography etc...

I would appreciate any feedback positive, negative or ambivalent. I am considering doing this with my 15 year old daughter and 12 year old son this summer.

Thanks
k10

I'll be taking the course before next winter for sure. I don't want to go 3+ months out of the water again because of water temps.

I have a couple of good friends, BillP and -=Larry=-, that dive there frequently. Their reports and stories have helped me decide to spend the money for the course.

As for being a pre-requisite for other courses, I haven't heard that. Maybe though one of the Universities....

Bill and Larry will be along and tell you all about diving in Aquarenea Springs.

Howdy K-10:

I haven't reported on the Scientific Diver course in awhile, so here's the scoop. It's been about 6 months since I was there, and there have been some changes (change seems to be ongoing), so maybe LarryL can fill you in on the current situation.

Spring Lake at Aquarena Center is my favorite freshwater dive in Texas. It would be a great place for a family dive. LarryL and his son took the course and dive there, but you might want to check to see if there's a minimum age. Just like you have to get your open-water certification before you can take advanced, nitrox, cave, etc. certification, you do indeed need to get the basic authorization to dive course before you can take the specialty courses.

The lake is filled by an estimated 200 springs with an average flow of 170cfs making it the second largest spring system in Texas (after Comal). It has a constant year-round water temperature of about 72°F. Visibility varies with the weather, but I've not seen it less than 40'. The springs bubble out at the edge of the Balcones Escarpment and the water comes from the Edwards Aquifer. The lake is home to several threatened and endangered species.

The springs in San Marcos have never gone dry in recorded history. The area around the springs has been continuously inhabited for thousands of years, but the current ~10 acre lake was created when the San Marcos River was dammed over 50 years ago. The lake used to be home to the Aquarena Springs amusement park, but the old park is now owned and operated by Southwest Texas State University (SWT). When it was still an amusement park they had a few rides, glassbottom boats, and a submarine theater with a mermaid show and diving pig. They still have the glassbottom boats, and the submarine theater is still there, but the mermaids are long gone. The "backstage" area for the mermaid show is still there and provides a sheltered area for changing when it's too hot or too cold out.

When SWT took over the park, it became an ecological preserve. Spring Lake is home to the endangered San Marcos gambusia, the fountain darter, the Texas blind salamander, and Texas wild-rice, and the threatened San Marcos salamander. There are numerous other water creature too. You'll dive with a wide variety of fish, turtles, snails, water birds, and even the occasional nutria. There's an old (inactive) underwater archeological site in the lake that is kept in place for the tourists.

The course is a weekend course with classroom and dives. If you like shows on The Discovery Channel or Nova on PBS you'll like the course. They cover the geology, hydrology, archeology, and biology of the lake, and also cover the rules and laws regulating diving in this protected area. You have to pass written tests for each module, but I'd hazard the guess that no one has ever failed. You'll also have to pass a dive skills test in the old theater area which involves ascents and descents, swimming through hoops, swimming under an overhead frame, and moving a heavy object to demonstrate buoyancy skills. It would be possible to fail this test. After you pass the dive skills test, you do several dives out in the lake along the old river channel where many of the springs are. You even do a night dive.

Once you complete the authorization to dive course, you can dive in the lake. The only charge to dive in Spring Lake is you have to work on a project while you're there. You might be cleaning the windows on the submarine theater or glassbottom boats, pulling hydrilla weeds, working in the demonstration garden, counting fish, whatever. The work isn't hard and there's plenty to see and do while you're working. They've tightened up the diving some since I started diving there. Once upon a time if you just showed up they'd find something for you to do and they allowed solo diving if you didn't have a buddy. Now they seem to be assigning tasks in advance when you contact them, and require a buddy.

The only downside I can think of is initial cost of the course, the distance from Fort Worth, and the work requirement. It's certainly worthwhile to do and I recommend it highly.

Hope to see you there,

Bill

Aquarena Springs is my alltime favorite dive in Texas - although it helps a lot that I only live 20 miles away. When we qualified - my son Jieh was 13 - so I suspect that both of your kids will be OK, as long as they are certified.

The point of the class is to instruct you about the sensitivities of diving in a Texas Antiquities site and a Endangered Species Protection Zone - - It's not hard - don't crush anything and don't take anything! Then there's a test! - essentially demonstrating sufficient bouyancy control - that they can be comfortable wiht your control. It's amazing how small those rings you swim through when you're being graded!

After that - you can come down and volunteer your services at any time. They generally look for 1/2 hour of service type stuff - then you get to bleed the rest of your tank as you will - This note, just a bit farther down the board was one of my happier examples of that.
I got to do Science at Aquarena Springs

BillP, as usual, has done a more than excellent job describing the environ's - - - I'll try to add phone numbers and links when I log in from work tomorrow!

Yes - they have expanded the course offering.

There is:
- Beginning & Advanced Underwater Archeology.
- A new course on the Biology of the Springs [Identification of Plant & fish species] {I intend to try it this spring}
- Underwater Communication [using the DiverLink system]
- AND - a Rebreather Course [I have no idea how this figures in!]

All have the basic Scientific Diver Course as a pre-requisite - as they will be held in the Springs!

K10,
Aquarena Springs is a great place to dive with your kids if you dont mind a little bit of work. My son and I took the course when he was 11. It took him a couple of tries to pass the bouyancy control test, but doing that really help him understand how important it is. It is also a great place to dive during the winter since they have a heated room.

Links & Emails:
This one is their official website & I assume has most of what we've discussed posted.
Aquarena Center Website

Reservations for the Scientific Diving Classes are handled by Eric Peterson: seaspete@msn.com Email Eric and 512-392-0963

Diving & Volunteer Supervisor [coordinating dives other than classes] : Bridget Clark: Email Bridget bc50667@swt.edu and 512-245-9769 and FAX 512-245-9274
{I'm had excellent response using email with her}

Summer Level II Classes:
Underwater Archaeology Seminar July 20&21 [Apr 13/14]
Archaeology Syllabus & more

Underwater Photography Seminar June 29&30, July 20&21

Underwater Naturalist June 8th, July 27th

Underwater Communications May 5, May 25th, June 9th, June 22nd

Draeger Rebreather Training [Coming Soon]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom