Scientists Warn of Coral Bleaching in Caribbean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

putting the issue of whether the current warming is a result of man-made
factors or natural factors or a combination,

it is undisputed that man's destruction of habitat by direct means (destruction
of wild areas for cultivation, industry, mass hunting, etc.) has resulted in an unprecedented extinction sweep during the past 300 years or so, with many
species far too damaged at this point to realistically recover.

that alone qualifies homo sapies as a rather destructive species as far as
other species are concerned.

that's all on our dime. yes, we can change the world for the worst.

it follows that if we change our behavior, we can then change the world
for the better.

This becomes an interesting thread.

I find a bit of amusement at the quote that scientists were ‘surprised’ by how fast sea level is rising in the face of global warming.

The main reason they are surprised, is that scientists do not read each other’s work, especially if it falls outside their discipline.

I live, work, and study in the Bahamas. The Bahamas is a reef limestone archipelago nation, a chain of 700 islands, cays and rocks with no volcanic core. All of the larger islands are riddled with caves at every depth. I have explored a bit of these underwater caves on the island where I live and can tell you about beautiful limestone cave formations at many depths, in both fresh and salt water.

A few years ago I went to a lecture by a geologist who was studying these caves. Since stals’ cannot form in water, the presumption is that these were air caves at some point and for some time. Since some are in salt water, some in fresh, there is a presumption that relative sea level has changed. According to this geologist, the Bahamas are as close to a ‘datum’ as we have on earth. He claims that we can assume that sea level rises and falls and the caves maintain a constant height.

By sawing and polishing a stalactite from a known depth, scientists could study the ‘rings’, made by growth in air, and different stains and decomposition in either fresh or salt water. This geologist claims to have very accurate measurements of sea level going back about one million years.

The ice ages are noticeable, when ice is locked up in the polar caps, sea level drops and the stals’ grow. When the caps melt, sea level rises and the stals’ are first bathed in fresh water, then salt as the sea gets higher. By taking many measurements he learned some interesting things.

One point he made repeatedly, the polar caps do not melt, they collapse. Antarctica seems to have a trigger point and like a row of dominos, when that point is reached, sea level jumps up. From low to high in 70 years. Previously, it was believed to take hundreds if not thousands of years for the caps to melt.

He claimed that we are very close to the collapse point, apparently, some other scientists are realizing it too.

As to other points in this thread;
Yes, there are warming and cooling trends, and these things are cyclical. As of 1979 or 80, the sun began a cooling phase. This was discovered by physicists who were measuring quarks given off by the sun’s thermonuclear energy. Without humans, the earth should be entering an ice age, maybe a small one, maybe slowly.

Instead of a start of a cooling period, every set of measurements has shown warming, everywhere on earth.

There are many different measures of warming, frost dates, average temperatures, glaciers receding, bloom dates of flowers, disease spread to altitude and so on and so on.

It was just mentioned that the ozone layer was damaged, thinned, and has a hole in it, that this was human caused is almost universally accepted. This means more solar radiation gets to the surface. Someone mentioned how much oil has been burned in the past 100 years, they forgot to include coal, and deforestation.

So much CO2 is entering the atmosphere that the pH of the ocean is dropping. If you are worried about coral, that will kill it faster than heat.

As to the ocean level rising, the surf line in front of the house I used to live in, is now over thirty feet closer to the house in the past twenty years….

Ya' know, I never could figure out why so many bloody geologists infested the Bahamas. Everywhere I go, I find geologists. Even the director of the Gerace marine station is a geologist... so's his wife.

Limestone is so underappreciated. :wink:

geologists ain't dumb. they know how to pick their "area of study"

how many of them hang out in South Central L.A.?

:wink:

Very interesting read Fred.

Thanks, Fred. Fascinating stuff.

I've seen books that show ancient maps of the coast of Antarctica, and notes about orange groves, all sorts of trees, plants, etc.

I really don't know what to think, one way or the other. I simply do my part by not littering the ocean, picking up trash when I see it lying around, and doing little things like this... I teach my daughter to have respect for the earth and seas, too.

Same geologist, different subject;

If you look at much of the Bahamas chain from the air, it resembles (in a fractal sense) the high tide line, where the weed makes a thin line with diamond shaped break-through.

He believes that much of the Bahama land mass got above sea level by the action of hurricanes during the warm periods of high sea level. The storm winds whipped up huge waves that impacted on the reef and piled the debris up above the retreating water level. He found one rock, ninety tons, that he could match by strata to a hole in the ocean floor. The rock sat upon the top of a cliff thirty feet above sea level. You can check his math, but he got a wave height of 125 feet in order to generate enough lift to achieve this feat!!!!! And the U.S. thought Katrina was a disaster!

He also mentioned that an oil company, doing exploration, lost a very expensive drill bit when the drill entered a cave 1800 feet below the surface and snapped off. The idea of exploring our caves down to 1800 feet, I’ll leave to another thread.

Now, someone get me started on the biology/ecology of coral reef biota, and I’ll have my second book in the works….

Correct me if I am wrong. (I don't want to start a flame war)

If the oceans get too warm and the reefs die where they now grow, doesn't that mean that the reefs will start to grow where it’s currently too cold? I am getting my life ready to move to Hawaii. More reefs there sound good to me.

Seriously though

I know this gets all blown out of whack along with global warming, melting ice caps and such but in the big picture, oceans rise oceans fall, temperatures rise temperatures fall, and ice ages come and go. We have a very narrow perspective of what this planet is capable of.

Look at all the people that live along the California coast. They think they are safe and the biggest worry is earthquakes but there are nasty volcanoes (Long Valley) and massive tidal waves (Coral in the mountains above San Fran) in their future. Our tiny window of time (humans on earth) is nothing in the big picture of things. Antartica used to be tropical and I am guessing surrounded by reefs. I will have to research this.

I think there are things we can do to protect the reefs and I am game in doing my part but I also am a realist in the sense that I know there are some forces of nature we cannot control.

Hurricane Wilma is a perfect example of forces we cannot control yet I remember all kinds of people getting upset over massive reef destruction but in the big picture, those reefs are going to get plowed by hundreds of hurricanes and there is nothing we can do about it.

Pollution, Anchors, Idiots touching, boats hitting, are all under our control. We need to be more aware of those and really do what we can where it counts.

Fred R.:
Now, someone get me started on the biology/ecology of coral reef biota, and I’ll have
my second book in the works….

:33:

you know, not to get you strated on the biology/ecology of coral reef
biota, but just the other day i was saying to myself, you know,
what we need is a practical, reliable, low cost monitoring method
for assessing the biota and habitat conditions of coral reefs

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom