Scooter camera mounts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Akoni

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Looking for input on the various camera mounts out there (SS, Logic, SUEX and others). If you have one, please post your setup including camera system and what you like or don't like about it.

I'm looking to mount a housed GH4 with a 6" dome and a set of vid lights on a small diameter scooter.

Yellowdiving.eu sells one fairly inexpensively if you order directly from them in Poland. Takes about a week to get. It's very simple but works well. It's QD, swivels, and locks by way of thumb screws.

There's a shop here in the US that imports them but sells them for a hundred bucks more, it's worth it to order straight from the manufacturer, although their shopping cart doesn't work so you have to e-mail them.

The SS and Logic ones are just too expensive. No need to be that complex for such a simple mechanism. If it was for a GoPro I'd say just get a piece of PVC in the proper diameter, dremel a slot for a cam band, and bolt the tripod mount through it and not even bother with the manufactured ones.

I have a similar setup, GH2 with a large dome and twin lights. The mount I got is a small delrin cup with a plug you attach to the housing then pop into the cup (which uses a cam band to secure to the scooter).
What I have noticed with the delrin material is it's very slick. As in no matter how much I tighten the screw if I put even the slightest pressure in either end of the rig the screw will come loose and once that happens the entire thing just flops around. Doesn't happen with the GoPro as it's so small and light. I'm i the process of adding a second screw to prevent it from turning and hopefully that works but the delrin is a pain to work with.

Looking for input on the various camera mounts out there (SS, Logic, SUEX and others). If you have one, please post your setup including camera system and what you like or don't like about it.

I'm looking to mount a housed GH4 with a 6" dome and a set of vid lights on a small diameter scooter.

I have a similar setup, GH2 with a large dome and twin lights. The mount I got is a small delrin cup with a plug you attach to the housing then pop into the cup (which uses a cam band to secure to the scooter).
What I have noticed with the delrin material is it's very slick. As in no matter how much I tighten the screw if I put even the slightest pressure in either end of the rig the screw will come loose and once that happens the entire thing just flops around. Doesn't happen with the GoPro as it's so small and light. I'm i the process of adding a second screw to prevent it from turning and hopefully that works but the delrin is a pain to work with.

Anglo a small oring or rubber washer may help eliminate the screw coming loose. Who make the mount you are using?

Not sure who makes it, I picked it up from a dive shop about 2 years ago. I've tried everything form o-rings to aquatic adhesive to seal the screw in place :) I think delrin is slicker than Teflon as nothing works. I even put a spring between the mount and camera base to provide some counter pressure but darn thing still slips. I'm going to have to drill it so it's physically unable to move or get a whole new setup. I tried to find an old thread I read here awhile ago, there is a member here who sells scooter mounts specifically for large dslr setups and they looked really sweet and reasonably priced. Hopefully he stumbles across this and pipes up.

Anglo a small oring or rubber washer may help eliminate the screw coming loose. Who make the mount you are using?

I have purchased 3 over time and now have one on each scooter, but only use a GP.

Captain12pk here in SB sold me a mount he made. Small 2" round delrin block with the swivel secured between a top and bottom mount (sandwiched) it has 2 lock screws and a stainless clamp covered in nylon. You could easily mount a mid size camera set up on it.

FWIW.....The one from Jon Nellis is the best I have seen. I just can't ju$tify putting one on my Genesis scooters for my little go pro, when the one I have is less than a C note.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom