scooter DPV prop speed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dectek

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I don't know too much about these things. The literature on the different units say how fast they will go but what kind of rpms are they spinning?

I hear of stopping a run-away by putting your hand in the prop.

I would appreciate general information on these things..or better yet if there is an on-line owner's manual from one of the manufactures.

I don't think I even have the use of a scooter but my interest has been awakened.

I will have to look at other sires than gavin for some specs on these things.
I just thought somebody my have a ballpark on rpms.

Dectek once bubbled...
I will have to look at other sires than gavin for some specs on these things.
I just thought somebody my have a ballpark on rpms.

They vary. Ballpark speeds are between 750-1500 rpm.

R..

It sounds like a bad idea to me. I've only used a DPV once, but there is a lot of torque behind that prop. Speed isn't the issue really, it's the fact that the prop isn't going to stop when you put your hand in. Besides, the DPV I used had a prop guard that I don't think I could have gotten more than a finger into.

This strikes me as a bad thing to do, even if one DPV does automatically cut off, I wouldn't want to develop that habit, cos you never know it'll work until you try it.

You could always do the DPV specialty if you are interested, I did and it was a really good laugh.

Define a lot of torque. Without knowing the specs for a unit that statement can not be taken as reliable information.

As far as a prop guard not allowing your fingers in.... I am assuming that you did not have an adjustable clutch or any way to change the pitch of the prop.

I don't think that anyone wants to make a steady habit of using their hand as a prop break. I had a couple of questions raised in my mind and thought I would start looking at DPVs a little closer.

Standard proceedure in the case of a runaway... stop the prop & turn the pitch to the lowest setting.

But don't try it with a scooter that does not have a clutch.

Gavin scooters have a prop clutch that is set to slip the moment anything other than water hits the blades. This not only allows you to stop the prop by hand but also protects the motor should anything hit or get caught in the prop.

If you are talking about a runaway then the catch is that 'something' has failed in the mechanism so I would not want to stick my hand in to find out. I might try and foul it with something else if none of the other options worked. The only DPVs I have used were recreational ones and had no mechanism that I was aware of that would allow me to safely stick my hand in there.

If I remember correctly the reccomended things to do with a run away are;
ride it out, if it is safe to do so
Stick its nose in the sand and let the battery die
point it towards shore and let go

I remember fouling the prop being mentioned but can't remember if it was the last thing on the list of 'to do's or the first on the list of 'don't do's

fouling the prop would be waaay down the list.

Again... only a scooter with a properly set clutch can be safely stopped this way.

The original poster:
I hear of stopping a run-away by putting your hand in the prop.

This is what I was speaking to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom