scooter DPV prop speed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry Up

Was writing my previous reply while you were writing yours.

Apologies, I was unaware of the clutch mechanism in the Gavin Scooters

Dectek once bubbled...
As far as a prop guard not allowing your fingers in.... I am assuming that you did not have an adjustable clutch or any way to change the pitch of the prop.

It is funny that the thread ran in this direction. The main reason for the Original post was because I was curios as to what the RPMs were on there average or ANY DPV.:poking:

Actually you can stop a lot of spinning things like fan blades with your hands if you get the right angle and it has no burrs to get you while you are using friction to slow the thinks down. (Work Experience)

Ever see that guy that stops a 19 in. house fan with his tongue?
That was a David Letterman's Stupid People Tricks stunt.
:stupid:

Dectek once bubbled...
Define a lot of torque. Without knowing the specs for a unit that statement can not be taken as reliable information.

As far as a prop guard not allowing your fingers in.... I am assuming that you did not have an adjustable clutch or any way to change the pitch of the prop.

I don't think that anyone wants to make a steady habit of using their hand as a prop break. I had a couple of questions raised in my mind and thought I would start looking at DPVs a little closer.

Any prop that can pull you along at a rate of 3 knots or more has got to have enough torque to move enough water to overcome your hydrodynamic resistance. This is a significant amount of torque. If you have, as Uncle Pug suggests, a "properly adjusted clutch" you may pull your hand away with no damage to your digits. But if your clutch is not properly adjusted or if you have no clutch at all you're going to get hurt. It just sounds like a dangerous idea to me.

Back
Top Bottom