Scooter Salvage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Misplaced Priority:
Man when things go bad, they go bad and fast! .

I agree! And remember serious accidents are usually caused by multiple causes. Each little difficulty snowballs into another one until you can be overwhelmed. If I had lost my mask or had a regulator problem or something else minor, it would have put me over the edge. It sucks when you find yourself in a bad situation underwater and you begin the negative thoughts of "this is how they are gonna find my body".

Dump great experience you had there, Its funny when you have enough time to think about it how different you would do it all over again. The main thing is you also worked through some serious threat to your life and was able to overcome and not freeze or completely panic. I'm just not sure the DIY DPV was worth it though.

Wow. Thank goodness that you made it out of that dive okay.

This incident happened about a year and a half ago and really scared me.

Where was the dive?

I quickly realized with a few slashes, that it was not monofilament that was looped around my ankle, but rather stainless steel fishing wire which my knife was not cutting. Now I was very close to panic.

I would have been very scared.

I stopped flailing around (it takes a lot of effort to just reach down to your ankle when being dragged by a 2 kt current) and looked at the wire and could see that about 10 feet away the steel line was attached to a swivel and then it connected to heavy monofilament below that. I somehow pulled myself down the wire and was able to reach the monofilament. This was extremely strenuous. I gave it one swipe with the knife and was immediately cut free of the bottom.

Skill and luck. You did a good job keeping your wits about you and cutting the monofilment line. Good for you!

Sometimes that steel line, won't cut.

What if you had been unable to reach the monofilament line?

So many errors on this dive it is hard to name then all.

We all make mistakes. These could have been fatal.

Thank goodness you're alive.

Dump great experience you had there, Its funny when you have enough time to think about it how different you would do it all over again. The main thing is you also worked through some serious threat to your life and was able to overcome and not freeze or completely panic. I'm just not sure the DIY DPV was worth it though.

I have a hunch that most times when there are accidents, the original goal does not look like it was worth the price, looking back.

Good read, and a lot to think about.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom