Scorpion Fish but what type

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

orangeBloke

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hello,
can anyone tell me what sort of Scorpion fish this is, I've never come across a blue/green one until last weekend

Thanks

Most scorpionfish have highly variable color patterns. They tend to end up with colors that form effective camoflage for their local environment. So identification is more by shape than color.

It would really help to know what part of the world you found this in to try to identify it.

-Mark

It was at Pualu Tioman in West Malaysia. I've seen plenty of scorpion fish there over the years but never one with this colouring. I've asked around a few friends and instructors who've dived there quite a bit and none of them have ever seen one like this either

orangeBloke:
It was at Pualu Tioman in West Malaysia. I've seen plenty of scorpion fish there over the years but never one with this colouring. I've asked around a few friends and instructors who've dived there quite a bit and none of them have ever seen one like this either

I've actually seen a similar colour one in Redang a couple of times last yr...

How big was it? I am guessing it’s a Scorpaenopsis macrochir but could be the larger S. diabolus—both have noticeable hump on back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom