Scott Carpenter, Mercury astronaut & SEALAB aquanaut

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SEALAB Author Ben H.

Contributor
Reaction score
Condolences to the Carpenter family . . . Mentioned toward the end of today's New York Times obituary is that Scott Carpenter became an aquanaut, "spending a month living and working on the ocean floor, at a depth of 205 feet, in the Sealab project off San Diego in 1965." No small feat ! He made exploratory dives even deeper than the base depth during his record 30 days on the seabed. I'm grateful to have been able to speak with him about his Sealab experience, which continued through the program's demise in 1969. It was but one eventful chapter in a life fully lived.

Mr. Carpenter was a good guy. A regular guy for being a superhero and as I kid I used to follow his work on Sealab. He was also very generous with sharing knowledge. Did a short TV ed promo with him 12 years ago and the kids loved him, as well as the people who met him.

He will be missed.

X

I wonder what diving would be like today without his contributions.

I read his book.
Pretty good read.
I think he still holds the record for time in the ocean.
Chug
So sorry to see so many leave.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom