Info SCTLD closures on Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't jump to conclusions. That is where ALL the larger ships come to town...cargo, etc.
Grand Cayman is the big counter-example: SCTLD started on the opposite side of the island from where all the cruise/cargo ships dock.
Not just the larger ships... All the ships??

In the past we have seen multiple small independent (scows) making land to sell fruits and vegetables in the downtown market.

Newly announced by STINAPA today at Bonaire National Marine Park see https://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/...d5b16&extent=-68.8017,11.9105,-67.4545,12.493 for the complete map:

RED Sites
View attachment 795224

ORANGE Sites (on mainland)
View attachment 795225

ORANGE Sites (on Klein)
View attachment 795226

All other sites are GREEN, although the sites north of Karpata a closed to diving, and the sites on Klein are closed to diving/snorkeloing after 2pm.

There are ten publically-accessible decontamination stations (BLUE on the map) at:
View attachment 795228
August 12 Update from STINAPA:
Ebo's Reef (on Klein) is now RED
Nearest Point (on Klein) is now ORANGE

Just returned from Bonaire yesterday. My opinion, based solely on my own observations and knowing very little about SCTLD, is that the SCTLD is certainly present, but I didn't feel like it was completely devastating the reefs. Even in the red zones like out in front of Buddy Dive, it was noticeable but not "overwhelming". It also seems to be hitting the brain coral mostly, which is pretty sad because Bonaire has very nice brain coral. There is a huge one at the bottom of The Lake dive site with huge SCTLD spots on it. A lot of the coral still looks really good. Another positive note is that there seems to be A LOT of fish and other sea life on the reefs. Our last trip to Bonaire was three years ago and I don't remember the sea life being that abundant. I have no idea what the correlation to that and SCTLD is, if there even is one, but it was nice. Overall, the diving was fantastic. Our last four trips have been this one to Bonaire, Grand Cayman, Curacao and Roatan. The diving on this Bonaire trip was consistently the best with the most sea life. Curacao a close second....

Just returned from Bonaire yesterday. My opinion, based solely on my own observations and knowing very little about SCTLD, is that the SCTLD is certainly present, but I didn't feel like it was completely devastating the reefs. Even in the red zones like out in front of Buddy Dive, it was noticeable but not "overwhelming". It also seems to be hitting the brain coral mostly, which is pretty sad because Bonaire has very nice brain coral. There is a huge one at the bottom of The Lake dive site with huge SCTLD spots on it. A lot of the coral still looks really good. Another positive note is that there seems to be A LOT of fish and other sea life on the reefs. Our last trip to Bonaire was three years ago and I don't remember the sea life being that abundant. I have no idea what the correlation to that and SCTLD is, if there even is one, but it was nice. Overall, the diving was fantastic. Our last four trips have been this one to Bonaire, Grand Cayman, Curacao and Roatan. The diving on this Bonaire trip was consistently the best with the most sea life. Curacao a close second....
There are astute observations! SCTLD only seems to attack a few corals in Bonaire, about 9 of the 20 that it attacks throughout the Caribbean, STINAPA says:
In Bonaire, it has been found on 9 coral species, the most common being: Flower coral (Eusmilia fastigiata), Grooved Brain Coral (Diplorialabyrinthiformis), Great Star Coral (Montastrea cavernosa) Knobby Brain Coral (Pseudodiploria clivosa), Boulder Brain Coral (Colpophylia natans), and Maze Coral (Meandrina meandrites).​
Bonaire has a lot of different stony coral species;, many more than those 9; I estimate at least 30 are fairly abundant. Most of what we see -- except for the brain corals -- are not on that list of nine.

One should also note that we are entering peak bleaching season right now -- Mid-Aug to late Sept --so there is a lot of bleaching going on that might look like SCTLD but it is not...it is just the zoozanthelle (colored algae) leaving the coral tissues...the coral is not dead.

There are astute observations! SCTLD only seems to attack a few corals in Bonaire, about 9 of the 20 that it attacks throughout the Caribbean, STINAPA says:
In Bonaire, it has been found on 9 coral species, the most common being: Flower coral (Eusmilia fastigiata), Grooved Brain Coral (Diplorialabyrinthiformis), Great Star Coral (Montastrea cavernosa) Knobby Brain Coral (Pseudodiploria clivosa), Boulder Brain Coral (Colpophylia natans), and Maze Coral (Meandrina meandrites).​
Bonaire has a lot of different stony coral species;, many more than those 9; I estimate at least 30 are fairly abundant. Most of what we see -- except for the brain corals -- are not on that list of nine.

One should also note that we are entering peak bleaching season right now -- Mid-Aug to late Sept --so there is a lot of bleaching going on that might look like SCTLD but it is not...it is just the zoozanthelle (colored algae) leaving the coral tissues...the coral is not dead.
Thanks and thank you for the info! I guess the good thing with traveling to places is the urge to learn more about them once you've been there and put eyes on it! Bonaire, particularly the corals and SCTLD situation, is no exception to that.

Not to burst any bubbles, but there is a second way to interpret the above. They "impacted" corals are dead, covered in other algae and thus undetectable as a diseased coral.

Buddy was Red in May and SCTLD was very present. The disease moves fast.

When it hit Cozumel, it was present and sad in the Spring and in the Fall when I returned, the disease was gone like it never happened. I forget the exact months but was probably April/May to Oct.

August 12 Update from STINAPA:
Ebo's Reef (on Klein) is now RED
Nearest Point (on Klein) is now ORANGE
Three more ORANGE sites were added yesterday: Alice in Wonderland, Larry's Lair, and Forest (on Klein).

Three more ORANGE sites were added yesterday: Alice in Wonderland, Larry's Lair, and Forest (on Klein).
As of today, Aug 24, the list of RED sites (12) is unchanged (on Klein only Ebo's Reef is RED)
1692908589745.png
The list of ORANGE sites (25) on the mainland:
1692908727333.png
Plus the ORANGE sites (8) on Klein:​
1692908925464.png
All other sites (41; 48%) are GREEN.

Two weeks in to 3 weeks on the island.....a few thoughts.....

From a 'dive experience' standpoint the current impact of SCTLD is negligible. Yes, it's there if you're looking for it - and there are some obviously dead patches - but there is just so much other healthy 'stuff' that there is no reason whatsoever to consider avoiding Bonaire as a destination. From some of the earlier posts in these threads it's possible to assume the reefs have been turned into some barren wasteland. They have not. It's still the same vibrant mix of diversity I remember from 3 and 5 years ago.

I say this as it seems quiet around here. It is low season, but my 2019 trip was also in late Aug/early Sept and i remember more people around. Sixty percent of the sites I've dove I've been the only one there.

Disinfection and such is entirely on the honour system. Make a reasonable effort, be smart about site order - but don't feel that it will be an undue burden on your trip.

The lack of access up North has had me exploring wider areas elsewhere - lot's of new discoveries. Unless you've been here a lot it's not a problem really.

Is it really so hard for these restaurants to update their 'opening hours' on google maps when they are taking the week off.... (looking at you B2B....)

In short... don't avoid the place because of 'the news'.

Disinfection and such is entirely on the honour system. Make a reasonable effort, be smart about site order - but don't feel that it will be an undue burden on your trip.
In short... don't avoid the place because of 'the news'.

Was there for a week two weeks ago, first time. I did find the constant disinfection and rinsing multiple times a day such a PITA that while I’m glad I went and had a good trip, I certainly don’t foresee myself (or in general, understand) being one of those people with 5 or 7 or a dozen Bonaire trips under their belts. IMO it certainly wasn’t -that- good especially considering the rather high expense.

A bunch of days we ended up just not diving in the late afternoon or evening because of not wanting to rinse gear againnnnn.

Saw seahorses in the wild for the first time (4 total!) so that was pretty cool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom