Info SCTLD closures on Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From a 'dive experience' standpoint the current impact of SCTLD is negligible. Yes, it's there if you're looking for it - and there are some obviously dead patches - but there is just so much other healthy 'stuff' that there is no reason whatsoever to consider avoiding Bonaire as a destination. From some of the earlier posts in these threads it's possible to assume the reefs have been turned into some barren wasteland.

Was there for a week two weeks ago, first time. I did find the constant disinfection and rinsing multiple times a day such a PITA that . . . .

In my decision to nudge our regular (not quite annual) Bonaire group trip elsewhere this year (we went to Roatan), my thinking (posted upthread, I believe) was not that the effects of SCTLD on Bonaire's coral are worse than on other Caribbean dive destinations but rather that trying to comply with the requirements for choosing dive sites according to a color code scheme and disinfecting at certain points in this routine would be too much for our group to handle. We normally have enough difficulty over breakfast just deciding on what sites to dive and getting ourselves out the door (the proverbial herding of cats). Depending on how you like to do your dive trip, Bonaire can require just a tiny bit of logistical thought. Before the SCTLD mitigation measures, my group was already on the edge of being unable to manage the logistics. I have no faith we could adhere to the current rules and still get the same amount of diving in.

Mike Walker's comment suggests to me it's possible that Bonaire's mitigation measures are working, or that groups like mine that might bungle the rules have stayed away.

Two weeks in to 3 weeks on the island.....a few thoughts.....

From a 'dive experience' standpoint the current impact of SCTLD is negligible. Yes, it's there if you're looking for it - and there are some obviously dead patches - but there is just so much other healthy 'stuff' that there is no reason whatsoever to consider avoiding Bonaire as a destination. From some of the earlier posts in these threads it's possible to assume the reefs have been turned into some barren wasteland. They have not. It's still the same vibrant mix of diversity I remember from 3 and 5 years ago.

I say this as it seems quiet around here. It is low season, but my 2019 trip was also in late Aug/early Sept and i remember more people around. Sixty percent of the sites I've dove I've been the only one there.

Disinfection and such is entirely on the honour system. Make a reasonable effort, be smart about site order - but don't feel that it will be an undue burden on your trip.

The lack of access up North has had me exploring wider areas elsewhere - lot's of new discoveries. Unless you've been here a lot it's not a problem really.

Is it really so hard for these restaurants to update their 'opening hours' on google maps when they are taking the week off.... (looking at you B2B....)

In short... don't avoid the place because of 'the news'.
I agree. We're seeing some damage mostly to the brain coral, but it is not nearly as bad as scubaboard posts made it seem. We too have been nowhere near divers the past 3 days except for today at Kaparta. Which actually worked out well because I had an oring blow and it was an odd size I didn't have on me. So having other divers around was nice for once. We're on rebreathers so we're seeing alot of sites per dive and I really haven't been shocked by severe damage to the reefs. Just some ugly areas here and there.
We arrived on Bonaire day. That kind of sucked because eveything closed early. We walked into van den tweel and got kicked out before we could buy anything because they were closing (no sign posted about the shortened hours).
I just spent a week in Bonaire. The disease is everywhere and the protocols have not stopped the spread.
Thats because I've seen very very very few people disinfecting gear. I also highly doubt the protocols are going to make any difference. But I'm no expert so I just do what I'm told.

A bunch of days we ended up just not diving in the late afternoon or evening because of not wanting to rinse gear againnnnn.

I'm pretty sure even the STINAPA procedures only ask for it once per day so long as you don't go from a lower risk to higher risk area.....

Saw seahorses in the wild for the first time (4 total!) so that was pretty cool.

Where, dammit...? I've been searching but my usual luck here has left me dry....

Thats because I've seen very very very few people disinfecting gear. I also highly doubt the protocols are going to make any difference. But I'm no expert so I just do what I'm told.

I've taken a more.... pragmatic approach.... (Somewhat necessitated by my atypical dive scheduling). There is certainly the question of overall effectiveness - but even looking past that - is there any point disinfecting going from Red to Red? Or Green to Red? What about diving the same site twice in a row? What about swimming between sites? Certainly, I'm being diligent in the procedures going from high risk to low risk - but it's pretty easy to group sites by type (travelling alone helps with that - I only have to argue with the voices in my head...).

I do think a reasonable balance has been struck between officials 'looking like they are doing something', the possibility of some measurable mitigation of damage and diver convenience in a tourist destination.

It's unfortunate it is happening - but having done a lot of long, multi-site dives on this trip the wear and tear from normal concentration of diver activities in the listed sites vs. the relatively undisturbed 'in-between' areas seems more noticeable than the SCTLD.

I'm pretty sure even the STINAPA procedures only ask for it once per day so long as you don't go from a lower risk to higher risk area.....

Where, dammit...? I've been searching but my usual luck here has left me dry....

I've taken a more.... pragmatic approach.... (Somewhat necessitated by my atypical dive scheduling). There is certainly the question of overall effectiveness - but even looking past that - is there any point disinfecting going from Red to Red? Or Green to Red? What about diving the same site twice in a row? What about swimming between sites? Certainly, I'm being diligent in the procedures going from high risk to low risk - but it's pretty easy to group sites by type (travelling alone helps with that - I only have to argue with the voices in my head...).

I do think a reasonable balance has been struck between officials 'looking like they are doing something', the possibility of some measurable mitigation of damage and diver convenience in a tourist destination.

It's unfortunate it is happening - but having done a lot of long, multi-site dives on this trip the wear and tear from normal concentration of diver activities in the listed sites vs. the relatively undisturbed 'in-between' areas seems more noticeable than the SCTLD.
I can say having heard from STINAPA they already agree with your approach. If you stay with Red then you can wait to disinfect till after your day is done. Their preference is for you stay in the same sector, so if you are diving something special you stay in the general vicinity but at a min stay in a red zone. Doing your first dive in green to a say Red after that is also fine w/o disinfecting your gear, then do it at the end of your day's diving.

I have noticed a lot of the dive shops have tubs but they are not clearly marked with the correct percentages of disinfectant STINAPA wants. My fear is putting sensitive gear in the wrong tub. Since we rent out our place when we go back to the states mostly in the high season, I went to Kooyman's and purchased the tubs and required solutions for ourselves and guests to disinfect at our place once they are done for the day.

I just spent a week in Bonaire. The disease is everywhere and the protocols have not stopped the spread.
Of course not - in my opnion, it was a bit silly to think that divers would be a major source of spread… but their island, their rules.

Two weeks in to 3 weeks on the island.....a few thoughts.....

Is it really so hard for these restaurants to update their 'opening hours' on google maps when they are taking the week off.... (looking at you B2B....)

In short... don't avoid the place because of 'the news'.
We were on Bonaire last month and I totally agree with this take....BTW, speaking of restaurants, if you like tacos, go see the folks at Carlito's. It's Bonaire's newest taco place and its FANTASTIC!

1694452881824.png

Of course not - in my opnion, it was a bit silly to think that divers would be a major source of spread… but their island, their rules.
Agreed. SCTLD is all over the Caribbean to different degrees. Divers didn't bring SCTLD to Bonaire....and they certainly aren't going to be a significant source in spreading the disease. Totally agree we should do what we can, but I don't think it's much in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom