Scuba and Computer Folkes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I assume that geek is primarily used as a male term so I guess I would be a geekette!

Proud to say that I have worked in IT since 1997. I am primarily a GIS person but last year went to work in a GIS role for a telecom company and got reorged into a little but of everything. I now have EDI Warehouse systems, IVR systems and some provisioning/billing systems. I am currently pursuing my MMIS degree.

I agree with Darian Dunn on the disposable income comment. Most computer people are relatively young. They like us like that so we can work 80 hours a week. Most of the people in my office are also DINKS (dual income, no kids) which is also an attractive status for divers.

While layoffs in our industry have been widespread since the dotbomb crashes in the last year, I still think I am making more money for the amount of education that I have than most of the people that I graduated from college with. I have too friends who went to law school that are making less and have $50,000 in student loans.

:bunny: KC_Scubabunny :bunny:

Ok - letter and designations aside - I'm a proud geek - I'm not going to post anything and ask you if I look like one - I know that after 14 1/2 hours in the lab - I do look like one.

The one thing I can say is that now that I got laid off - 2 weeks ago - MAN do I have a lot of time for diving... This is awesome and I'm comfortable enough that I will (maybe) go look for another job soon - for now diving is really nice.

See if from the positive side too - if geeks have disposable income - is it possible that we are somehow partially responsible for turning that economy around a little - by being out there and spending?

Anyway - I'm going diving,
Big T

I think its about challenging ones self. I just like that scuba diving is as challenging as i want it to be. I can go shallow and look at the pretty fishes or deep and look at the wrecks and walls.

Andy

MCSE, A+

I see were all in good company. Obviously we're all (mostly all) used to dealing with the math and technology. So it seems natural that we (I.T. professionals) would be intune with a hobby or lifestyle that offers the technical challenges but provides almost instant gratification such as Scuba.
I'm a Network Admin/ Technology Director for a comfy engineering firm. If I do my job correctly, I have lots of time (between support calls and what not) to keep on studying. Scuba is offering yet just one more layer to my intellect. And I'll get the opportunity to see things like I've never seen them before.
Someone said in an earlier post that it's a personal challenge. Isn't that why we all do MOST of what we do?

One more note: Most of the divers I know are educated and classy people. Maybe because it's more fun to dive than to hang out at the local bar spending your time and money on people who have no more desire than get the next drink or the next high. If you have a dive planned the next day, getting hammered is NOT an option..... Right?

Just my thoughts...
I'm not adding any letters to my signature.......:eek:ut:

well wear do i begin , i work as a paramedic full time , run a small computer shop , building , repairing and installing programs , and fixing allot of what some people mess up on there computers and i love scuba divng , so with that said no not computer geeks just someone who have some common grounds with each other !!!!!

Back
Top Bottom