scuba and handguns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mpgmr:
<quote edited from original post>
King Neptune doesn't appear to have posted on this board for nearly two years. You're talking to empty air.

mpgmr:
<quote edited from original post>

Uhh... I don't think King Neptune will be replying any time soon. He hasn't logged in since 2003.

-Edit- Too slow.

Archman & SeanQ-
You're absolutely right. Talk about whistlin' in the wind. Being only my 2nd post on SB and the fact that this thread was supposedly a hot one (based on it being referenced on SB's home page) I didn't think to check dates. I was responding to KN's posts on pages 4 and 7 and I now see that one would be well advised to check the post date above the name (didn't notice that before). Point well taken. Thank you!
<Removing foot from mouth to assume modified Weaver stance with Glock in hand>

Well I know this thread is dead but found some interesting information regarding this original post before it started going all over the place.

NOTE: Glock, Inc., specifically disclaims any and all liability from anyone performing or attempting to perform underwater firing with a Glock pistol -- you do so at your own risk.

The Glock 17 may be equipped with an optional set of maritime spring cups for use in water environments. Maritime spring cups are not intended for submerged firing, but for surface use by special ops teams who operate in and around water. The maritime spring cups are two small parts within the firing pin assembly and are not included on any Model 17 sold by Glock (civilians can only get them through 3rd parties). They insure that water can pass by the firing pin within the firing pin channel, thus preventing the creation of hydraulic force within the firing pin channel -- which would slow the firing pin down, causing light primer strikes. With the special cups, the action will cycle reliably while submersed, if a little bit slower. NATO specification ammunition (such as Winchester's Ranger RA9124N) with waterproof sealed primers and case mouths is recommended.

Although you may install the maritime spring cups on any Glock model, *only* the Glock 17 was designed and intended to use the modified spring cups for aquatic firing -- and only then using 9mm ball ammunition to remain within acceptable pressure limits. The foolhardy who insist on living dangerously must keep several things in mind: The Glock 17 must be fully submersed underwater. There must not be any air left within the pistol as the muzzle is pointed towards the surface of the water after submersion to allow the air in the barrel to escape. Use only full metal jacket, ball-type ammunition because the water within the barrel can spread a hollow point out within the barrel upon firing. This increases the bearing surface of the bullet to the barrel and could catastrophically increase pressures. Even if the barrel doesn't burst, the expanded bullet would get even bigger upon exiting into the water and would slow down very quickly while tumbling. Accuracy would be terrible.

The marinized Glock 17 is primarily for use by various Special Warfare units operating in aquatic environments. At least one specialized Scuba diving group regularly uses G17's to dispatch sharks where they dive. The Glock 17 using NATO specification ball ammunition will completely penetrate a minimum of one 1/2" pine board at a distance of ten feet from the muzzle when fired underwater.

Trained personnel who use Glocks underwater know they must obey several rules:
1) use only a Glock Model 17 with amphibious spring cups (reliability issue);
2) use only 9mm FMJ subsonic, sealed primer ammo;
3) completely immerse the pistol and get *all* the air out of the barrel;
4) wear protective ear plugs, gloves, wet suit, face mask, etc.;
5) do not fire near solid objects or in enclosed spaces to prevent return
concussion.

However, any Glock -- even those not equipped with maritime spring cups -- will normally fire while submersed underwater. But doing so may generate excessive internal pressure and may cause the pistol to literally blow up. This is especially true with the use of high-pressure rounds (such as the .40 S&W/357 SIG) or hollow-point bullets.

The following information was found at: http://www.topglock.com . there is more information there as well as accident reports of idiots who have tried to fire the handgun underwater. I own a glock and love it though I think that glock should be held responsible for their advertising of the ability of underwater shooting especially to the civies

I hope finally this thread can be put to rest now that amazingly everyone agrees on everything :) Let me see if I got all this correct and I'll just sum things up. You use a handgun underwater for the same reasons as on land, target practice and home defense. I have some guns (but ofcourse I'm from Texas) so don't try and mug or rape me underwater buddy cuase I might be packin... oh ya and the daisy red rider really is the best underwater weapon. Did I get that right?

Yup, at 15 feet underwater the Daisy Red Rider can put your eye out

genxweb:
NOTE: Glock, Inc., specifically disclaims any and all liability from anyone performing or attempting to perform underwater firing with a Glock pistol -- you do so at your own risk...... I own a glock and love it though I think that glock should be held responsible for their advertising of the ability of underwater shooting especially to the civies

Old threads need new life.... Look at this: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?p=1323249#post1323249 (983 days and twelve posts!)

You had me until that goofy last statement. Hold a manufacturer liable for...

Well, they beat you to it. GLOCK simply does not sell the maratime spring cups in the US. See- they protected you.

The also do not sell the G18 (for civillian end-use) or the G25 or G28. In another country, I have a G18 with the shoulder stock. Absolutely useless but quite a lot of fun a parties.

Otherwise, I'd go with the Daisy Red Rider.

Maybe 10 years ago, DEMA....Orlando... The Russian Guys that were selling CO2 powered u/w spear guns with waterproofed laser sights.

Dr. Evil, where are you?

A Red Rider versus a G18! Ha I scoff in your general direction. Let&#8217;s break it down and compare them side by side.

Can the G18 put your eye out under water? Obviously that&#8217;s why they are not available in the US.

Can the G18 assist in navigation or double as a bottom timer? Of course not!

Where as the Red Rider comes with a compass in the stock and this thing that tells time. Now we all know that a Red Rider is ocularly lethal on land but will it put your eye out under water? Well my amature theory based on a hunch that this guy had when I was 6 years old says... maybe not.

So there it folks, next time you&#8217;re thinking about underwater home protection... Think red rider!

Bo Danker:
... Think red rider!

Just like the Armalite ar-7... the stock makes it float!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom