scuba and handguns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

artsprite:
Be careful of saying boy's toys. I happen to love handguns, and other guns as well. In fact I have my concealed handgin license.
You shouldn't mix firearms and alcohol. :wink:

Joe

scottieme1234:
im just trying to squash some of the myths and bs floating around about the subject
They were sunk and on the bottom until you refloated them. :)

Mike Nelson answered this question I believe in the second season of Sea Hunt where he was hired to do undewater testing of firearms by a gun company. The results were pretty good. This was along about the same time he had to go up the vent tube at a missle plant because bad guys had sent a torpedo into it with a timed explosive. N

Wow, this is an old thread

DennisS:
Wow, this is an old thread

Yeah..... I guess no one noticed they are posting to a 4 year old thread! :eek:

As a firearm enthusiest this thread scares me deeply. Unless you're a SEAL you shouldn't be using a conventional combat (or any) handgun underwater. The shockwave will damage your hearing permanently. Firing a Glock in a closed room will cause ringing at the least, imagine what denser, higher pressure water will do to you. Glocks should never be fired underwater anyway. Any handgun that needs to be modified to fire underwater shouldn't be used in that manner. Firearms fall into three categories in the context of this posting:
1. Weapons that are not designed to be fired underwater and need to be modified to do so
2. Weapons that are not designed to be fired underwater and do not need to be modified in any way to do so
3. Weapons specifically designed to fire underwater
Firearms that fall into class 1 should never be submerged and fired unless in cases of extreme peril. Glocks, needing a fluted firing pin fall into this class. Class 2 and 3 weapons can be used underwater, where class 2 weapons should be used with extreme care and/or training. Class 3 weapons include the HK underwater combat pistol, a certain AK varient and spear guns. These are safe to use underwater, though some may need training.
Certain handguns like the Springfield Armory XD can fire underwater (and have been) with no modifications, and fall into class 2. There are others but I will not list them.

I'll say again: I do not condone or support anyone’s decision to fire a firearm underwater that was not made specifically for that purpose. Especially not with his head also submerged. If you feel compelled to do so I am not responsible for your actions and the consequences thereof. If your post is research-based (book, article, report or whatnot) feel free to send me a PM and I will gladly help you out but in the real world this should NEVER be attempted without proper training.

SubMariner:
Yeah..... I guess no one noticed they are posting to a 4 year old thread! :eek:

I noticed.... hence my post up above. :D

Glocks have their place (ask many LEOs). They are not for everyone, i.e., hydrocephalics. Sig makes nice guns too. Can't you appreciate a firearm for it's history, it's technical innovations, application, and design? Ya think that it might be better to have a box stock Glock than no gun at all if one can't afford a tricked out Sig?

As to shooting handguns underwater, Lenny Magill of GUNVIDEO made a video shooting various models underwater. From his limited testing and my memory, he found the Glock to not be that realiable (didn't cycle well) underwater. He recommended wheel guns. Be sure there is minimal, preferrably no, air in the barrel when you shoot. Bullets with less frontal area and greater ballistic coefficient went the farthest, which was like only 20' or so and still penetrate a plywood board.

Agree bang stick would give you more for the buck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom