scuba and handguns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blacknet

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,

Does anyone use the glock 17 underwater? If so I would like to hear some info on what your using/doing.

Ed

You really need to use the Glock 20 (10mm) underwater so it will penatrate the water column farther, or the Glock 29 (subcompact version). It will fit nicely in your BC pocket. A real plus is if you have a CHL (concealed carry permit). Although I dont know how the game wardens would take to it's use under water. Now, spearfishing in the gulf at night to ward off those damn sharks that try to get your fresh kill....

Hello,

My post was intended to be a serious thread. FYI the 17 is the only one recomended with special equipment and conditions. Lets keep this serious please.

Ed

Didnt mean to offend anyone with that response, but I dont think glock would condone/warranty there gun being fired underwater.
And not trying to influnece anyones believes, but with the advent of powerheads mounted onto speargun shafts, why would you subject a $400 handgun to that kind of abuse??

BTW, are you talking about firing the weapon underwater while scuba diving?

Seriously, penetration would be less than 4 feet considering that most water traps to test bullet expansion, etc are not that long
anyway.

Since the glock 17 can have a muzzle vel of over 1350 fps (in air), I would be slightly concerned about the concussion wave from the shot, make that any gun though

Not flamming.....just expressing my opinion....

Hello,

Well there is marine spring cups for the glock and they ARE made by glock for use underwater and in amphibious enviroments. So yes glock does warranty it.

Ed

BTW, what special equipment are you refering to? The Glock 17 is the original with all other models being based on that design. Since Glock made the original claim that this gun can be fired underwater, why couldnt the rest be firec underwater as well?

Hello,

Pressure on the barrel. There's some rules you *MUST* follow

Must be the 17/19
must be FMJ
must be ball
*MUST* be free of air
must have marine spring cups

Don't try it w/ the .40

http://www.glockmeister.com/basement.html

Scroll down towards the end you'll see "Stock Glock Maritime Spring Cups"

Ed

The Glock 17 has a kit containing a fluted firing pin so its travel isn't hampered by displacing water.
.38 specials have been used quite a bit before the Glocks came out, and you don't have to worry about cycling with a wheel gun.
I prefer the .44 mag or .223 powerhead, tho it may be difficult (or illegal) to even posess .223 ammo in some international locations.

Hello,

No there's no special 'firing pin' it's just specialized rubber cups. Nothing fancy or the like. Just plain old rubber cups on the stock firing pin.

Ed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom