scuba and handguns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, I found the parts you are refering too.

Are you looking into this just because it can be done? Or do you just have some bad a** critters in the water there

Dont get me wrong, doing something just because is my fav way of doing things. Esp. if someone tells me it can't be done.

At least one specialized Scuba diving group regularly uses their Glock Model 17's to dispatch sharks where they dive

And you thought I wasn't being serious about taking out sharks.....

Hello all
I think you should use the original bang stick with a twelve guage. Just kidding! I think I'll buy my next handgun based on whether it will kill perch in Lake Superior. This could be a new way to fish with a 100% chance you'll get a shot. If it goes the way all my other fishing does they are safe anyway.
Ghof

As with most 9mm, unless you get a "lethal" hit, all you're gonna do is piss some 300-400 lb eating machine off. I'd stick with the bang stick with either a 44 mag or 12 ga on a 6' pole.

Comming out in 2002 from the gun manufactures is a water activited silencer. Tests show that the divers using the equipment could barely hear the shots going off....:eek:

LOL..

For that 300-400 lb pissed off Grouper, use the 12 gauge bang stick like Ghof said but instead of buckshot, use a slug. Much more effective.

As I understand, the Glock 17 with Maritime cups is not meant for U/W shooting it is meant for submersed not submerged firing. It is intended for amphibious not underwater environments.

Subtle difference....It is meant for use at or near the surface.

You also have to use subsonic ammo in order to get inside the accepted pressure limits on the barrel.

I seriously doubt that the pistol can be fired at depth. Even if the pistol barrel survives the shock wave is going to be very severe.

I'd really like to see some detailed data on the group that routinely kills sharks with this set up.

(And by the way, the US ARmy tests in the 20's on M-1 Garand found that 48" of water was enough to stop a 03-06 at a 90 degree angle)

Just for the heck of it, here's a pic of the Maritime caps:

LY,noise is actually not bad,I've heard 38,357 mag,357 max and 44 mag underwater.It is rather unsettling tho to hear it by surprise.Blacknet,just a question?Why not a conventional powerhead?Or is this for personal protection at an unfriendly site?Be aware the failure rate u/w is higher for all ammunition including those with nail-polish or laquer on them.I shoot about 200 rds a year with a failure rate of 5-10%.Also they don't work much deeper than 150' no matter what you do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom