$ Scuba and the Wife $

Spending on scuba and the wife....

• I tell my wife exactly about how much I spend on scuba diving.

Votes: 103 48.1%
  • I partly tell her about how much I spend but I sneak things around so she won't complain.

Votes: 66 30.8%
  • My wife thinks scuba diving is free and the equipment were all presents from santa claus.

Votes: 9 4.2%
  • I'm a woman and I am frustrated that this is the only option I can click on!

Votes: 36 16.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, since the wife is an instructor and dives just as much as I do, (if not more), then it serves little purpose to lie.

However, the problem comes when I get a new toy, I sometimes can't let her see it, because too often, if she sees it, I wind up having to get another one because "my new toy" becomes "her new toy".

My wife tried diving, but it wasn't for her. She has her hobbies and I don't begrudge the money spent there.

I get away with diving trips by taking one of my grown sons with me. Plus I drive the motorhome and do the heavy lifting when she wants to travel to a dog show.

It works, just glad we can fund both, I would hate for her to have to do without her hobbies.:wink:

My wife dives but is not into tech/cave like I am, so whenever I take a new trip or course or buy something else new, she asks "How much?", I respond by looking the other direction, and then she swears.

All in all, I come away feeling slightly guilty which, at least to me, atones for the purchase. :D

We struck a deal. I stopped asking him about all his triathlon purchases and he stopped asking me about all my SCUBA purchases. We wives can play this game, too. :D

Tell your wife? Is this a poll for wussies?

I blame her for everything I buy. She knew full well what I gear hound I am. It's her own fault for getting us OW Certs as a Xmas gift one year. She doesn't usually ask, but if she does, I tell her that she doesn't want to know and she usually just shakes her head. I make sure to get her plenty of random gifts to keep her appeased.

It's worked so far, we'll see how she takes it when my BP/W shows up.

My wife was an obstacle to my diving...now she's my ex-wife. Find a cool girlfriend who likes diving too. Any questions...see below.

My wife had surgery on both eardrums as a child, we learnt to dive together, but unless we did the slowest of all possible ascents and descents, she was in considerable discomfort.

Add to this the potential damage another ear infection could cause (i.e. a chance of permanent hearing impairment / loss), She made the call not to dive again.

Luckily for me, she did get to see what's down there, and does not begrudge me my dive trips and expense, so long as she gets to go away to interesting places with her girl friends when I can't make it.

In the last few years, I went to Palau, South Africa (Sardine Run) and Galapagos. She went to New Zealand, Argentina and Switzerland.

If I couldn't dive, I'd say we're about evens.

My wife does not mind a all, she has her hobbies but not as expensive as mine given all of the camera gear I have and will no doubt purchase more in the future.

At least my daughter dives too, so that works for us as I can take her off for a dive trip and the wife can do her own thing.

Back
Top Bottom