SCUBA and weight?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

supernix

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,

This is a touchy subject but I was curious.
I was wondering if there are any divers that are overweight.
Currently I weigh around 270lbs and one thing that made me think about this was all the diving suites I have seen only go up to I think 220lbs.

And most suites I have seen go by height as well. I would probably have to wear a suite for someone 7' tall to fit my weight currently.

I was just curious if anyone else is dealing with this same issue as I am. I am sure that eventually from swimming I will get in shape slowly but surely and lose weight from all the activity.

Oh, there's definitely more than a few extra pounds being carried around by a lot of divers. I've lost about 30# over the past two year (only one of them since diving), but am still 6'2" 215# and am on my way to being under 205#. Don't think that just diving is going to do much for your weight. If you're doing some regular swimming as an aerobic exercise, that's great, but the swimming involved with scuba just isn't intense enough to lead to much weight loss.

Good Luck.

-Rob

You didn't metion you height but I too have a problem finding proper fitting wetsuits. At 6'8" and 285 lbs finding a suit was a challenge. I went to my LDS and they ordered a custom suit and had 3 inches added to the legs and arms.I thinkit was only $30.00 more. I then found a Henderson Gold 3X fit prety well, a little short in the arms and legs. Go find a LDS that will spend time and is will to contact their distributors. It was worth the effort and time for me to have a good couple of good fitting suits.

hi steve,

sometimes it seems like every other thread in the women's view forum has to do with being overweight, or having trouble finding a big enough wetsuit, etc. etc. etc.....

based on what i see when i'm diving, there's probably an overweight male diver for every overweight female diver. so you're not alone.

if you're looking to find a wetsuit that fits, try the exposure protection forum (i think that's the name).

but if you're looking to lose weight, the previous poster was right: you probably won't do it scuba diving. but like he said, swim swim swim!

good luck,

dm

supernix:
Hi,

This is a touchy subject but I was curious.
I was wondering if there are any divers that are overweight.
Currently I weigh around 270lbs and one thing that made me think about this was all the diving suites I have seen only go up to I think 220lbs.

And most suites I have seen go by height as well. I would probably have to wear a suite for someone 7' tall to fit my weight currently.

I was just curious if anyone else is dealing with this same issue as I am. I am sure that eventually from swimming I will get in shape slowly but surely and lose weight from all the activity.

Thanks for all the feed back.
I am only 5' 6" I think what they call my ideal weight is like 170lbs but I would like to pick a bone or two with that person and their ideas.

One I loved snorkeling when I was a kid. It was so wild swimming rapidly though the water for a change. And it opened up a entirely new world to me. Sorta like a trip to the moon I guess.
But this is also an idea I had to help my fiancee. She has a weight problem as well and once you gain X amount of weight then you develop other problems that make it harder for you to loose weight. One of those being that your muscle mass can't handle the weight your packing. So long walks tire her legs and one thought I had was if I can get her to swimming that would relieve the weight stress on her knees and help her build leg muscles as well. And we get to share a sport together. A real win win situation.

I have weak ankles as well so that ruined my chance to be the next US ice skating champion LOL. Which makes diving that much more of an entertaining of a sport for me.

supernix:

You're not alone out there. I'm a few inches taller than you but I originally weighed 315. I started Weight Watchers back in March and have dropped down to about 270 lbs. I've met lots of overweight divers.

Swimming is one of the equalizers since we're virtually weightless in the water. That also makes it a good low impact exercise. I understand the physical troubles you have as my back and knees were starting to ache. You have to get past that hump slowly so that you can do more strenuous exercises.

Like everyone else mentioned, aerobic cardio type exercises are what you need. I played soccer most of my life and my legs can kick for hours, but I'll be darned if my oxygen pumpers can keep up!

Keep at it, and just like with diving, buddies make it fun.

PS: Henderson makes a line of suits called Titanium Hyperstretch. They go up in sizes to like 3 or 4X and stretch a HUGE amount. Everyone talks about how comfy they, and how you can lose/gain weight and still fit into them. You can have them altered for height later or when you order from an authorized dealer.

Like Kriterian says, Henderson Titanium Hyperstretch!! These suits are great they are easy to get into and they stretch to fitup to 4x larger than the tagged size. I love them so much I have two 3mm and 5mm. I dive with someone who is about 5'9" and around 320 lbs and he has a hyperstretch and loves it he said it was one of the only wetsuits that he could get that fit him without alterations...

supernix:
Thanks for all the feed back.
I am only 5' 6" I think what they call my ideal weight is like 170lbs but I would like to pick a bone or two with that person and their ideas.
If the "they" you refer to is "Weight Watchers", then I agree. My theory is that their weigh ranges are baised toward the female.

Here's what my doctor said:

Male: first 5ft height=106#
plus 6#/inch over 5' then +/-10%
Ex: 6'2" = 5' + 14" ==> 106 + 14 * 6 = 106+84 = 190
So, 190+/-10% gives 171-209# for a 6'2" Male

Female: first 5ft height=105#
plus 5#/inch over 5' then +/-10%
Ex: 6'2" = 5' + 14" ==> 105 + 14 * 5 = 105+70 = 175
So, 175+/-10% gives 157-193# for a 6'2" Female

Weight Watchers puts my 6'2" goal weight in the 155-187# range (from memory, might be a bit off) but I haven't been in this range since college and that was when I was on the crew team and rowing 2hrs/day 6days/week. I've got a "perscription" for a goal weight of 205# on file with WW now.

-Rob

P.S. Male 5'6" ==> 142+/-10% ==> 128-156# Oops, that's worse in your case!! Sorry.

Forgive me but I dont remember the source. The American population has gained a half inch of height every decade and an average of 6 pounds. I just think the height/weight ratio is outdated. It hasnt caught up with better nutrition.
But another side bar. Experts are saying that this is the first generation that will line a shorter number of years than their parents. This is due to lack of excersise. So sign all your kids up for SCUBA.

I am 6' 255#. My ideal max weight is something like 195#. (yeah RIGHT! in my DREAMS) I think the last time I was that light was nearly 20 years ago. In the Army, 211# was my lowest. Your best bet is to go to a local shop and ask for assistance. Most shops will order a suit for you and if it doesn't fit, they will swap it at no extra cost. I am using a 2pc 7 mil Henderson, BTW. I would have thought something larger by the height/weight charts, same with my BC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom