Scuba Club Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Different strokes for different folks! We don't stay at all inclusive resorts in Cozumel simply because San Miguel has so much to offer when not diving. We usually stay at Casa Mexicana for around $70 a night which includes an incredible breakfast buffet. We have several favorite restaurants for lunch and dinner and we usually hit The Thirsy Cougar for a beer and ceviche once a day. Money wise, you can eat cheap anytime.

For diving we have been using Aldora for the larger tanks at about $100 a day per diver for a 2 tank dive. Their dock and the shop is about 1/2 a block away. Breakfast is at 7 and I think the boats leave at 7:30 so you have about 20-25 minutes to eat. Coffee, juice, cereal and fruit is usually available about 6:50. We have nnever had a problem hitting the buffet a little early. I not a morning person but have never had an issue with the timing....just not time for a long breakfast until your last day. We have also dove with Blue Magic and Dive With Martin and both were fantastic. Blue Magic also has some sleep and dive packages that will save you some more on the cost. Both are cheaper than Aldora, I would dive with either of them anytime. We just like the extended dive times with Aldora.

There are hundreds of ways to save on a Cozumel trip. Lots of people stay at Suites Bahia, which includes the same breakfast buffet at CM, you just have to walk a block and a half or so, for around $45 a night. I believe Dive With Martin includes the rental equipment in their price. You can always hit Mega and stock up on drinks, snacks, and lunch items as well.

Tipping wise, I usually tip $20 a day to the boat. Restaurant tips are 10-20%. And a 20 for the maids when we leave.

While staying in town gives up on the on site beach, it seems like there is always something going on in town.

One last comment, you might consider getting Nitrox Certified if you are not already. It seems like the multi boat operations will put the nitrox divers on a boat that goes to better sites...at least for the first dive. Most second dives are at a 60 foot max so there is less to choose from. Frankly, the second dive is usually my favorite because of the more aquatic life on the shallower dives.

SCC did not work out for you, but I promise that there is a combination that will fit your every expectation. You just have to find it. The good news is that it may take some more Cozumel trips to figure out what it is. Thats a win in my book!

Good luck, safe travels,

Jay

Everyone has different expectations and personal habits that can impact enjoyment. I am curious to learn more about your other travels and the type/price of resorts you visited. That may help us understand a frame of reference for your review.

As a perfect example, I loved SCC, knowing what it was. My wife would NOT like it, for the same reasons. Different people and different expectations. She is more of a Hyatt, Marriott, or Atlantis type of person.

Personally, I never felt rushed or unable to enjoy the food at SCC. Maybe I prep my gear before dinner, and you do it after. Maybe you enjoy a longer more relaxed breakfast, and I just eat and go. Maybe you like to clean up, shower, and tend to your gear before lunch, and I stow it in the locker and go eat in my boat clothes. Whatever the situation, I did not feel put-out, as you might have. Everyone is different.

During my visit to SCC, I was on both the large and smaller boat. I really enjoyed the smaller boat more than the larger one. It seemed that entry and exit was easier and quicker, with less waiting in line or fussing about waiting my turn on the ladder. In fact, on the small boat, we did a back entry over the side, which is MUCH faster and easier than walking one-at-a-time to the stern for the giant stride.

I do disagree with your 'rich man' comments. I would consider SCC a budget-minded location vacation. As for value, I'm curious how much you paid. My local club has a trip in October for $1069 (7 nights, with 5 days of diving). I think that's an incredible deal. It is NOT all-inclusive, and I wonder if that might be one of the sticking points. It is 'Meals Included'.

In contrast, I checked Iberostar (advertised as all-inclusive), and it was $1050 for the exact same dates. BUT, it did not include diving. They charge somewhere around $90 per 2-tank trip, so add another $450 for diving. What was your bar bill (alcohol and soda) at SCC? Was it $450?

One big difference for us was that I traveled with a group. I made lots of new friends and enjoyed hanging out. We bought booze, soda, and snacks at the grocery. We hung out and talked about diving, and family, and whatever other BS. Had a great time.

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy SCC. Don't give up on Cozumel!

Overall, it was around 1600$ (US) with everything included. And no, my bar bill wasn't that high because we bought most things at the Chedraui store nearby.

I agree that my opinion is based on my needs and expectations but other comments I received prove that I'm not the only one feeling that way about SCC even if most clients seem to think it's the best place in the world.

Thanks for your reply!

Different strokes for different folks! We don't stay at all inclusive resorts in Cozumel simply because San Miguel has so much to offer when not diving. We usually stay at Casa Mexicana for around $70 a night which includes an incredible breakfast buffet. We have several favorite restaurants for lunch and dinner and we usually hit The Thirsy Cougar for a beer and ceviche once a day. Money wise, you can eat cheap anytime.

For diving we have been using Aldora for the larger tanks at about $100 a day per diver for a 2 tank dive. Their dock and the shop is about 1/2 a block away. Breakfast is at 7 and I think the boats leave at 7:30 so you have about 20-25 minutes to eat. Coffee, juice, cereal and fruit is usually available about 6:50. We have nnever had a problem hitting the buffet a little early. I not a morning person but have never had an issue with the timing....just not time for a long breakfast until your last day. We have also dove with Blue Magic and Dive With Martin and both were fantastic. Blue Magic also has some sleep and dive packages that will save you some more on the cost. Both are cheaper than Aldora, I would dive with either of them anytime. We just like the extended dive times with Aldora.

There are hundreds of ways to save on a Cozumel trip. Lots of people stay at Suites Bahia, which includes the same breakfast buffet at CM, you just have to walk a block and a half or so, for around $45 a night. I believe Dive With Martin includes the rental equipment in their price. You can always hit Mega and stock up on drinks, snacks, and lunch items as well.

Tipping wise, I usually tip $20 a day to the boat. Restaurant tips are 10-20%. And a 20 for the maids when we leave.

While staying in town gives up on the on site beach, it seems like there is always something going on in town.

One last comment, you might consider getting Nitrox Certified if you are not already. It seems like the multi boat operations will put the nitrox divers on a boat that goes to better sites...at least for the first dive. Most second dives are at a 60 foot max so there is less to choose from. Frankly, the second dive is usually my favorite because of the more aquatic life on the shallower dives.

SCC did not work out for you, but I promise that there is a combination that will fit your every expectation. You just have to find it. The good news is that it may take some more Cozumel trips to figure out what it is. Thats a win in my book!

Good luck, safe travels,

Jay

Hi Jay,

Yes I'm nitrox certified but it wasn't really an option for me there because my dive buddy was not nitrox certified. Maybe next time!

I've priced up SCC before but not recently & frankly Hotel Cozumel gives me more for similar pricing. Same when comparing Casa Mexicana when you work it all out. Last year I researched several options in order to attend the air show in April rather than to do a dive trip / vacation & again when the final cost is evaluated Hotel Coz is very close to what I can come up with $$$ wise but more convenient because I do pick the AI option. I hadn't ever read about SCC's tipping policy & I don't agree with it if they are going to try to force it upon me with the attitude that if I don't tip I'll get poor service. It's not tipping if it's a mandatory charge. I don't generally dive with Dive Paradise because I can do better price wise with a few other ops I tend to use plus their fast boats don't have shade.

I have to admit that I only go to Cozumel when it's part of a ScubaBoard Invasion. We stay at Hotel Cozumel and dive with Dive Paradise. The all inclusive, except for airfare is about $1100 or so. Food, alcohol, hotel, 2 morning boat dives an afternoon boat dive and unlimited shore diving are all included. Every invasion is a bit different, but we always seem to have maximum amounts of fun. I can't remember a single big complaint. We come to dive and we make the most of it. Life is good.

I have to admit that I only go to Cozumel when it's part of a ScubaBoard Invasion.

Having the invasion staff take care of any glitches, either in real-time or pre-emptively adds a lot to being able to just relax and have fun.

Something else that seems to confuse some people about AI & non AI are the drinks. You can stay at Hotel Cozumel as a bed & breakfast or as an AI. If you think AI is a bit more expensive than B & B because you don't drink much or at all thinking a drink is an alcoholic beverage you need to re think this. They serve BEER at about the same price as a soft drink or a glass of lemonade, coffee or tea. Not sure how the prices stack up relative to a mixed drink like Rum & Coke etc but there are a lot of non alcoholic drinks available around the pool & resort that you can buy or get as part of the AI package. The alcohol isn't what makes a drink have a cost, it's the service, glass & cleaning of the glass or plastic cup & having it picked up by staff at some point no matter where you have stayed.

Usually, I go to all-inclusive resorts, at least 4 stars, and dive with nearby diving operations.

Well THERE'S your problem! Nothing against All-Inclusive Resorts, but NOT in Cozumel, unless you have a very good reason. There is a very wide variety of lodging options, from dirt cheap to super fancy, a wide variety of Dive Op options, from excellent budget operators like Dive with Martin to high-end valet service with HP Steel 120 tanks, like Aldora, and a wide variety of dining options, from higher end places like La Cocay and Kinta, where a great dinner can be had for less than $40, to the hidden locally owned gems like El Moro and Pescaderia San Carlos, and the numerous Loncherias where you can get an excellent lunch for 75 Pesos. All-Inclusive may be the only way to go at some dive destinations, but on Cozumel you can always do better going ala carte - pick your hotel, your Dive Op, and explore the great dining options.

Some of your complaints are quite valid. SCC does have some great rooms and they do have some crappy ones. When they are busy, the regular customers don't get put in the crappy ones.

C-53 is the worse dive in Cozumel. I would rather do the SCC shore dive.

Used bto be that the SCC website made it quite clear the RMD did not include drinks or tips. Not so any more. Tippng is done at then end of the trip so there is no effect on service recieved, on that trip. A $12 to $16 dollar tip for a 2-tank dive is quite reasonable. (Did you watch the dive guides loading and off-loadng tanks?) $8 to $10 per day for meals tips is also quite reasonable. As I recall, the chambermaid tip was per room, not per day. With clean towels twice a day, it is also fairly reasonable. SCC has their warts and you exerienced some of them. Yes, their boats are slow and their dive shop is a bit quirky. But it is just not as bad as you made it sound unless your expectations were excessive.

If it were not for their easy and interesting shore dive, there are so many other great options. Ever try a 2am night dive?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom