Scuba Commune for Dedicated Divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubblesong

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Has there ever been, could there ever be, a Commune for Divers, say, on a Liveaboard, or beachside house? Like the Hippy Communes of the 70’s, except with everyone sharing chores and expenses for diving instead of raising chickens and dropping lsd.
The recent sales offer of a Liveaboard got me thinking, what if 10 couples invest in buying the boat, split the expenses and dive for a year straight, all over the Caribbean?

Roatan has a pretty bohemian vibe.

Big idea to buy a boat and captain it around. Aside from all the logistics for food, etc., a year on a boat with a bunch of people you may or may not know well from the get go might stir up some interpersonal waves.

In any event, must be nice to have the kind of wealth that opens this up for consideration.

Price Insurance and the cost/time involved in getting a 100 ton Caotain's license into your fantasy..

ask Wookie about that....

True that the Liveaboard version costs more and you're limited to same people even though dive sites change. The version of the Commune in a ramshackle house on an out of the way Beach might be better for cheap communal living, but staying in one place requires a varied dive location.
On the plus side, raising chickens like the 70’s communes would still be possible.

Found this Sailing Commune, so it is conceivable! Alternative Sailing: Alternative World Sailing Community | A worldwide sailing tribe spreading an alternative lifestyle.

Last edited:
I would bet there have been some instances of two couples buying a boat together and sailing it all over for a year. How many couples does it take to make a commune?

Has there ever been, could there ever be, a Commune for Divers, say, on a Liveaboard, or beachside house? Like the Hippy Communes of the 70’s, except with everyone sharing chores and expenses for diving instead of raising chickens and dropping lsd.
The recent sales offer of a Liveaboard got me thinking, what if 10 couples invest in buying the boat, split the expenses and dive for a year straight, all over the Caribbean?
I like where your head is at!

I would bet there have been some instances of two couples buying a boat together and sailing it all over for a year. How many couples does it take to make a commune?
I should do the math, including all the boat and Scuba costs., with an endpoint of selling either the boat, or shares in the Commune. By the time I have earned enough money myself, even for one year, I am sure I will find others. My hubby is a computer programmer, and can work from anywhere, but WiFi is going to be high end.
Anyone can suggests costs and issues to think about, as it will be considered helpful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom