Scuba diver dies after being found floating at Kurnell, NSW, Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am not a dry suit diver so perhaps my thoughts on this are way off base but here goes. We are told Quero was diving with 26lbs of lead and a 17lbs of lift in her BC. So from this point she is 9lbs beyond the ability of her BC. She was also diving a steel tank, if it was a high pressure tank there may have been another pound of negativity (haven’t read of the buoyancy characteristics of her particular tank). Let’s say that there is another 2lbs of negativity by taking into account regs, heavy fins, and other misc gear. Now we are at 12lbs beyond her BC ability. Finally, add in the negativity of her camera, I am going to guess 3lbs negative and she is at 15lbs beyond her BC’s ability.

Now I do not know Quero, except through a few of her post on SB, so I may be wrong but in a benign environment that she was in, I would only intentionally vent enough gas to ensure a steady descent. I am thinking around 5 lbs. or less (I may vent more gas upon descent on other occasions, such as trying to get away from surface chop or trying to avoid surface current). Add in the fact she was ten feet from the sand and I see no reason for her to empty her dry suit. So she should have had 10 to 8lbs of lift in her suit after starting her descent. (If she drops the camera, she would only have to swim up about2lbs). Since we are told her dry suit had to be cut off her, that was not the case here, it seems her dry suit as devoid of any lift (feel free to correct me if this may not have been the case).

This seems to me to indicate that her vent valve was atleast partially open. If the valve was closed it seems to me that there should have been 10 to 8lbs of lift in her suit. Perhaps the valve was defective or had a bit of debris in it preventing proper closing or Quero for some reason did not fully close the vent. Perhaps there was an issue such as a cramp the distracted Quero from fully closing the vent. Or perhaps she went OOA as soon as her head went under water and didn’t fully close the valve. I personally suspect this was the case.

I understand the SPG was off by 10 bar and she reported having 50 bar remaining before redescending. In my mind, 40 bar or 600 psi should be enough for a experience diver resolve a problem in 10ft of depth without panic setting in. Only Quero knows what her SPG actually read. As I have said I never met or dove with Quero but it seems to me that the final overriding issue in this accident has to be needlessly using her reserve rather than doing a surface swim to shore. Perhaps others can weigh in as to if Quero was the kind of diver that might attempt a short submerged swim with a spg that only read 15 to 20 bar. To me with the information available to me this is the most logical explanation. The lesson to be relearned is:

Reserves exist for a reason. Do not use them unless absolutely necessary.

I am not a dry suit diver so perhaps my thoughts on this are way off base but here goes. We are told Quero was diving with 26lbs of lead and a 17lbs of lift in her BC. So from this point she is 9lbs beyond the ability of her BC. She was also diving a steel tank, if it was a high pressure tank there may have been another pound of negativity (haven’t read of the buoyancy characteristics of her particular tank). Let’s say that there is another 2lbs of negativity by taking into account regs, heavy fins, and other misc gear. Now we are at 12lbs beyond her BC ability. Finally, add in the negativity of her camera, I am going to guess 3lbs negative and she is at 15lbs beyond her BC’s ability.

Now I do not know Quero, except through a few of her post on SB, so I may be wrong but in a benign environment that she was in, I would only intentionally vent enough gas to ensure a steady descent. I am thinking around 5 lbs. or less (I may vent more gas upon descent on other occasions, such as trying to get away from surface chop or trying to avoid surface current). Add in the fact she was ten feet from the sand and I see no reason for her to empty her dry suit. So she should have had 10 to 8lbs of lift in her suit after starting her descent. (If she drops the camera, she would only have to swim up about2lbs). Since we are told her dry suit had to be cut off her, that was not the case here, it seems her dry suit as devoid of any lift (feel free to correct me if this may not have been the case).

This seems to me to indicate that her vent valve was atleast partially open. If the valve was closed it seems to me that there should have been 10 to 8lbs of lift in her suit. Perhaps the valve was defective or had a bit of debris in it preventing proper closing or Quero for some reason did not fully close the vent. Perhaps there was an issue such as a cramp the distracted Quero from fully closing the vent. Or perhaps she went OOA as soon as her head went under water and didn’t fully close the valve. I personally suspect this was the case.

I understand the SPG was off by 10 bar and she reported having 50 bar remaining before redescending. In my mind, 40 bar or 600 psi should be enough for a experience diver resolve a problem in 10ft of depth without panic setting in. Only Quero knows what her SPG actually read. As I have said I never met or dove with Quero but it seems to me that the final overriding issue in this accident has to be needlessly using her reserve rather than doing a surface swim to shore. Perhaps others can weigh in as to if Quero was the kind of diver that might attempt a short submerged swim with a spg that only read 15 to 20 bar. To me with the information available to me this is the most logical explanation. The lesson to be relearned is:

Reserves exist for a reason. Do not use them unless absolutely necessary.

slightly off base with the maths.

the 26lbs lead was there to compensate for the lift from the drysuit.

Furthermore, it will show you a visual and/or audible alarm when you are almost Out Of Air (OOA).

This device is an air integrated computer. We train divers with this device. It can solve the OOA problem, if used properly.

to me, and this is my opinion, this seems like a tech solution that masks the real problem...

when you start diving, you should be checking your gauge regularly.. as you gain more experience you will be more aware of how much air you are using and then check your gauge as a reference only... I barely have over 50 dives and I'm quite familiar of how much air i should have at any portion of my dive. When you are nearing your reserve you can check it more frequently to know...

I will never rely on an audible alarm etc from a piece of tech... it's nice to have.. but i don't think divers should be trained this way... what happens when it malfunctions and you are waiting for that alarm that never comes...

when you start diving, you should be checking your gauge regularly.. as you gain more experience you will be more aware of how much air you are using and then check your gauge as a reference only... I barely have over 50 dives and I'm quite familiar of how much air i should have at any portion of my dive. When you are nearing your reserve you can check it more frequently to know...

Even if you are checking it "for reference only" still check it regularly. That's how you might discover that one of your hoses is leaking, for instance.

what happens when it malfunctions and you are waiting for that alarm that never comes...
The air integrated dive computer displays depth, bottom time, no stop time, max depth, nitrogen loading, O2 loading, ascent rate, amount of gas & remaining bottom time. ( Have I forgotten anything? ) Oh yes, it might show temp., heart rate & your buddies tank pressure.

You will be checking it for the above info more often than you would check just a SPG.

You can still use a SPG as a back-up or better yet a second air integrated computer.

Could I ask that we please keep this thread on topic?

This question of the validity of the use of air integrated computers has nothing to do with this thread. If you want to debate it, please start a new thread in an appropriate forum.

slightly off base with the maths.

the 26lbs lead was there to compensate for the lift from the drysuit.

If I understand correctly (a big if since I am not a dry suit diver) she was using 26lbs of lead to offset the lift of the dry suit, when the dry suit was inflated enough to allow for the offset of suit squeeze and needed warmth. While she was at the surface she must had some lift in the suit with the vent valve fully closed as the wing did not provide enough lift if the suit was deflated. Since she was found with a fully inflated BC I believe that indicates Quero opened the valve on the dry suit to vent gas in order to submerge. At this point Quero either had the gas she reported to her buddies or she did not.

If Quero had the gas she reported, with her experience and at this depth, whatever happened should have been a inconvenience rather than a fatal issue. If she did not have the gas she reported why lie about it unless she was already into her reserve and intent on submerging?

That she was a member of SB and respected by and helped moderators, owned her own dive shop in Thailand, etc is a reason to not speculate and discuss this tragedy is offensive to me. Every single incident discussed on this forum is no different from hers. If you have a personal emotional connection to her and do not wish to participate than you should no do so but to suggest that anyone else refrain from the same because of who she was, is offensive to anyone else disucssed in this forum that someone else knew personally, and respected, etc. I say it is because of those factors that it is all the more important to discuss it.

From what I have read here, it seems it boils down to the buddy system. We are all taught to dive with a buddy. It is the most important rule, other than do not hold your breath, about diving. I would be willing to bet that no one begins diving solo. It is something that you progress into for various reasons. However, the simple fact remains, having that other person during an episode 10 ft, 20 ft, 30 ft, to 150 ft and beyond under the surface would almost certainly increase your odds of survival at minimal 50percent. If this woman had all the problems with her equipment that some are suggesting, and all the factors came into play and she found herself at the bottom unable to rise and OOA, had someone else been there, at this depth, there are so many things that could have been done to save her life. It seems they found her after she died. Absolutely no blame to the buddy from the sound of things on this forum. The buddy system- or the idea that it does not apply to you, ULTIMATELY killed this woman. And if you are a solo diver, you have this incident to reflect upon the next time you go under on your own because you absolutely cannot account for every single thing that could happen and if you are rendered unconscious you cannot help yourself. Having a buddy can. It is not a guarantee, but diving is designed to have this back-up system in place. If you choose to break this rule, you must absolutely understand the risk. I believe that is the lesson learned here. One of the most very basic fundamentals of diving that TOO MANY people choose to ignore. This is not an urban legend. It happens and it CAN HAPPEN TO YOU.

How much reserve do you need for 10 ft depth? The question is not why she went down with only a little air, it is why she did not ditch her lead and float up. Endless speculation, but no new information has been released.

Why won't anyone answer the basic question pertaining to what kind of weight belt/integrated weight/ pockets that she was wearing?

This is critical to understanding.. say if the lead was not readily ditched...

That she was a member of SB and respected by and helped moderators, owned her own dive shop in Thailand, etc is a reason to not speculate and discuss this tragedy is offensive to me.

We have had nearly 500 posts in this thread, making it an extremely long A & I thread. In the beginning, there were pleas to avoid speculating until more facts came out. Such pleas are common in these threads--it has nothing to do with the specific person involved. Once facts came out--which was soon after that--we have had hundreds of posts analyzing the dive, without any restraint that I can see. Many of the people who have been part of these discussion, including me, are SB moderators. SB moderators have brought forward some of the most important information in the speculation that has followed. Quero has come under a lot of criticism in this thread as a result of this analysis.

I am sorry you are so offended by the protection she is supposedly receiving in this thread, but at the same time I am baffled by the accusation. I don't see it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom