Scuba diver drowns near gloucester

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just heard how about this.....how sad......4th diver from MA to die this season.

Like alot of us, I dive with Cape Ann Divers alot and I've done the Poling many times off both their boats. I hope whom ever the Captain was is not taking it too hard.

This time of year it's always good to have redundant gear, although it's rare (w/ a good well serviced reg) to have a free flow once you are in the water for a few minutes and it's heated up to water temp by the water.

Tragic......this sucks........4 divers in one season........

It becomes a tragedy for all involved.

When we were in Bonaire (1-18 thru 1-25) we had a tragedy there. That would make it a 5th local diver lost. I lost a colleague, friend, and dive buddy. He was not diving scuba at the time. He was free diving.

My sympathies and condolences to his family and friends.

Here's an article from a Gloucester paper regarding the accident. There's some pretty scary details coming out.

Scuba diver dead in Gloucester waters

By JOHN ENOS

Staff writer

A Belmont man died while scuba diving on the hulk of the sunken oil barge off Eastern Point yesterday afternoon.

Anthony Kalinowski, 50, of 18 Payson Road, was pronounced dead on arrival at Addison Gilbert Hospital.

A Coast Guard vessel transported his body to the Harbor Loop station after it was recovered from the Chester A. Poling.

Kalinowski had gone out to the spot where the barge broke up and sank in January 1977. He was diving from a Cape Ann Divers' boat with four other scuba divers.

Three were students instructed by Michael Paskiewski, 38, of Spencer. He and the others were interviewed by Detective Joseph Fitzgerald and Patrolman Sean Conners at the hospital.

Paskiewski told the police that Kalinowski dived first and alone, ahead of the others.

The next time he saw Kalinowski, Paskiewski said, he was struggling with Jesse Dotteror, 26, of Worcester.

Paskiewski said Dotteror broke away and the instructor tried to stop Dotteror who was heading toward the surface too quickly.

Dotteror told the policeman that Kalinowski had come to him underwater and took his extra regulator. After Kalinowski took two breaths from it, he handed it back, the Worcester man said.

After Dotteror took two breaths, Dotteror said, Kalinowski took the regulator back. When he refused to return it, Dotteror started for the surface.

Another scuba diver, Shane Duclas of Chicoppee, told police he later brought Kalinowski up after finding him on the barge's deck.

The man did not have a regulator to an air tank in his possession, Duclas said.

The men interviewed by Fitzgerald and Conners estimated Kalinowski was underwater for 15 minutes.

Local police notified the state police detectives assigned to investigate unattended deaths for the Essex County District Attorney's Office. They also contacted Belmont police to notify the dead man's family.

The state's Medical Examiner's Office took jurisdiction of the case, with an autopsy scheduled to determine the cause of Kalinowski's death.

http://www.ecnnews.com/cgi-bin/g/gstoryv2.pl?slug-FATEDIVE

Marc

hmmmmmmm........pretty tough when you are diving a 100' wreck but you don't how to share air. Panic is a killer. Dive safe, practice sharing air.

Tony and his wife are members of our dive club. I plan to attend his funeral. This is very sad.

I am confused that he didn't have a regulator when they found him. I am also confused why anyone would dive alone especially with a boat full of people to dive with. These things always make me wonder how it could have been prevented.

really sorry to here about your friend,,, geez,, we were just talking about diving the c. poling when we read the news,, best regards buck

I actually don't know Tony personally. I'm one of the directors of our club that he's a member. He dove regularly with other people in the club and they said he was a very mindful of safety. We're all confused about how this could happen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom