Scuba Divers and Weight Belts:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is a reasonable personal decision. Do you also boycott stores that sell fish, restaurants that serve fish, dive shops that sell spearguns, and stores that sell fishing poles? How about Mares and Cressi who produce far more spearguns than Mako?
:popcorn:

One of our local shops: Laguna Sea Sports was bought out by a group that sell spear guns. The previous owner was against it. No I don't boycott them, but I'd rather not see spear guns in a dive shop. I did not know about the Mares or Cressi-- fortunately I don't own any of their gear.

As far as food stores and restaurants: if they sold guns yes I would boycott them.

Adam

One of our local shops: Laguna Sea Sports was bought out by a group that sell spear guns. The previous owner was against it. No I don't boycott them, but I'd rather not see spear guns in a dive shop. I did not know about the Mares or Cressi-- fortunately I don't own any of their gear.

As far as food stores and restaurants: if they sold guns yes I would boycott them.

Adam
So you have an aversion to guns (spearguns and others).

I can certainly understand how people that eat no meat or fish or any animals would find spearfishing objectionable. I can also understand how you would rather not dive with people that are carrying spearguns because you feel it is dangerous. However, spearguns are not intended to "torment" marine creatures, they are designed to "kill" them. Spearfishing is the least damaging, most ecologically sound means to take fish from the ocean.

Do you eat fish from the ocean or do you boycott any store or restuarant that sells fish that were harvested from the ocean?

So you have an aversion to guns (spearguns and others).

I can certainly understand how people that eat no meat or fish or any animals would find spearfishing objectionable. I can also understand how you would rather not dive with people that are carrying spearguns because you feel it is dangerous. However, spearguns are not intended to "torment" marine creatures, they are designed to "kill" them. Spearfishing is the least damaging, most ecologically sound means to take fish from the ocean.

Do you eat fish from the ocean or do you boycott any store or restuarant that sells fish that were harvested from the ocean?

I don't really have an aversion to guns. They are a part of human history and in some circumstances, such as in a gun club with a target range, and of course in defense they're fine with me. Spearguns don't even share these two roles.

And the main reason I don't dive with speargun hunters is: when I dive I'm there to be part of the environment and share it with the creatures I meet. I'm in their space and I want to be in harmony with them, not there to kill. I shoot with my camera to see the animal alive in the wild, as it was made to be. The safety issue is secondary but also important.

Adam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom