Scuba Divers and Weight Belts:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MAKO Spearguns

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Reaction score
Scuba Divers and Weight Belts:

It’s been our observation that most experienced freedivers use rubber weight belts and most scuba divers don't. Why? We’re really not sure, maybe some others have an idea?

Rubber belts provide some significant advantages over a typical nylon belt for both scuba divers and freedivers. The biggest problem/complaint with a standard belt is that it slides around. How many times have we seen scuba divers climb the ladder with their belt (often a soft, lead shot one) spun 180 degrees with the buckle hidden under their tank. Heaven help them if they should have to drop it when in that location.

Wetsuits compress with depth and this causes the nylon belt to become loose and often requires tightening at depth. A loose or sliding weight belt is much more likely to fall off. Who wants to be messing with a buckle when you should be scanning for fish as you drop down on a wreck or reef? Scuba divers often resort to over tightening the belt before the descent, which makes the belt uncomfortable and also makes the buckle prone to popping open becaue there is too much stress on the buckle. Heaven help you if you are trying to do this with a plastic buckle!

A rubber belt provides automatic depth compensation abilities due to its elasticity, but there are other more subtle advantages as well. The rubber belt is more “tacky” than a nylon belt and tends to stick to a wetsuit and is much less likely to slide or spin; the belt will pretty much stay where you put it. This allows the weight belt to be worn in a variety of positions.

People with low back problems are familiar with the ache and fatigue of wearing a relatively heavy belt over the small of their back. A rubber belt can be worn much lower (over the buttocks) for example, and it will not slide off as a nylon belt would. Getting the pressure off the lumbar area (low back) can greatly improve comfort. Freedivers often like to wear their belts as low as possible so that it does not constrain their breath up and this may benefit scuba divers as well.

We feel that the popularity of weight integrated BC’s is partly due to the fact that the typical nylon belts are really not the optimal solution. Weight integrated BC’s present a few unique problems in that they make the scuba unit heavier to handle and placing all your ballast on the BC can make removal of a scuba unit underwater a challenge, since the diver might find himself floating up without any ballast. Granted, these issues are minor when only a small amount of lead is required with a thin suit, but many instructors recommend that if a scuba diver needs more than about 12 lbs of lead, distributing some lead on a weight belt (rather than exclusivelt within the BC) may be beneficial.

Take a look at our rubber belt. It looks old or archaic with the simple stainless steel buckle. It “looks” like it is not as easily ditched as a typical nylon belt. The opposite is probably true. The belt is assembled in a unique way that applies compression of the rubber from the metal pin when the buckle is in the closed position. To release the belt, requires only one hand; the free end of the belt is grabbed, pulled and then released. The buckle automatically pops open and the elasticity of the belt assists in a very quick and simple release. The belt seems to “pop” off your waist. It is a little hard to describe, but once you try it for yourself, the functionality of this timeless design becomes quite evident.

This type of buckle is NOT prone to popping open or catching on things at inopportune times as typical nylon belt buckles sometimes do. We know very few scuba divers who, once they try a rubber weight belt, will go back to their old ways.

Regardless of whether you free or scuba dive, you owe it to yourself to try out a rubber belt. It is an inexpensive item that has the potential to improve your comfort and possibly your safety.

Can you tell we get excited about dive gear? MAKO would like to get more divers to try the rubber belt, especially scuba divers who might not be familiar with them.

Our normal price for the weight belt is $24.99 (which is a probably impossible to beat anywhere else). However, for the next 7 days (until 5:00 p.m. Wednesday January 13), we will be discounting the belt to only $19.99 (a 20% savings).

MAKO Spearguns - Freedive Weight Belt

The website has not been updated with this discount, so you will have to make the order via telephone:

(540) 361-1570.

Dive Safe!
MAKO

Attachments

• weightbelt.jpg
    weightbelt.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 863
I much prefer rubber belts and agree with your overall assessment. The only place that we part company is with the buckle. I find the wire bail superior to the Marseilles style.

Although your post feels somewhat like an Infomercial, I agree with you that the rubber belts work really well and prefer them over nylon for the most part. The exception being light weight (4-6lbs) over thin exposure protection where I can tighten the nylon belt properly and there is minimal suit compression.

One negative that I have heard is that the rubber can fail when it ages (cracks) excessively and drops your whole belt. That wouldn't be good, but it seems that you could pretty much mitigate that through proper maintenance of your gear.

I, too, prefer the bail type buckle but have never used the other one.

I've tried 2 different kinds of rubber belts. One of them was made from a soft and stretchy rubber, which, while very comfortable to wear was a bear to put on due to the softness of the rubber. The belt simply "flopped" around too much with weights mounted. From vague memory it was about 10 lbs.

The other belt is made from a thicker and slightly stiffer rubber and has the bail buckle. It works well and is easier to put on with weights mounted. Getting weights mounted and the length adjusted though - would work fine if I always dove the same amount of weight - but I don't.

Maybe a set of pockets would work. Then it'd only be the length adjustment.

Anyway, thanks for the announcement. Good idea, not sure about the buckle though.

Henrik

I LOVE my rubber belt. I ditched the damned nylon one, even after multiple tries with different buckles.

I've tried 2 different kinds of rubber belts. One of them was made from a soft and stretchy rubber, which, while very comfortable to wear was a bear to put on due to the softness of the rubber. The belt simply "flopped" around too much with weights mounted. From vague memory it was about 10 lbs.
The other belt is made from a thicker and slightly stiffer rubber and has the bail buckle. It works well and is easier to put on with weights mounted. Getting weights mounted and the length adjusted though - would work fine if I always dove the same amount of weight - but I don't.

Maybe a set of pockets would work. Then it'd only be the length adjustment.

Anyway, thanks for the announcement. Good idea, not sure about the buckle though.

Henrik

Our belt is quite robust and can easily handle in excess of 20 lbs without "flopping around". The belt is strong, but soft enough to provide sufficient elasticity to compensate for suit compression and will not shift or fall toward your head should the diver assume a head down position.

You also made reference to the issue of adding and removing lead weights on a weight belt. Hopefully without sounding too much like an "info-mecial", we also offer a uniquely shaped solid lead weight that is slotted to facilitate the addition and removal of a weight without sliding the weight on/off from the ends of the belt. This slotted design was common 30 years ago, but we have fabricated our own mold to bring "I" - shaped weights to the market. This weight will work on our rubber belt as well as any standard 2-inch nylon belt.

This type of weight shape is also perfect for a scuba tank cam band weight. The shape allows the weight to be added or removed without completely opening the cam or requiring someone to re-thread the buckle. It works particularly well with the Scuba Pro cam band that has hardware on each end of the belt.

MAKO Spearguns - 2 Pound "I" Weight

Attachments

• I weight.jpg
    I weight.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 734
Split weights like those you show are really great.

I agree with what you stated about rubber free-dive belts. I used a Rob Allen belt that is the same style as the one you linked to. I like the Marseille buckle just fine, although I have never used the wire and bail style others have mentioned.

The advantages of a rubber belt are enough to make me never want to use a nylon one.

I don't mind the infomercial style post as long as your not peddling snake oil.:wink:

Your price is very good. The Rob Allen belts cost about $40 locally.

-Mitch

Check out the DUI weight & trim harness. While somewhat expensive, it easily beats any weight belt. Harness is suspended from the shoulders, taking the weight of the hips, making it much more comfortable. The weights can be adjusted up and down, and with the "classic", backward and forward. The weights will not slip around like with a nylon belt and can be dumped, if required or desired.

With a stainless BP/W and a wet suit (3 mil) I got rid of the weight belt by putting 2-4 lbs in pouches on the tank cam bands for trim and bouyancy. With a dry suit, I needed more ballast again and discovered the DUI W&T. I don't think I will ever use a weight belt again if I have the choice.

I love my rubber weight belt. I wear XS Scuba pockets from their 6-pocket pocket weight belt over it, so it is very easy to change weights anytime I need. And the belt is self-adjusting for depth compression, does not slip easily, and can easily be tightened up enough that there are no changes throughout the dive.

Mine is a hybrid design, with a webbed "tongue" attached to a rubber belt. So I use a regular (stainless steel) weight belt buckle. I'm not against the Marseilles buckle (or the wire bail), I'm just very comfortable with the standard buckle and have never had a problem with one in over 400 dives.

I don't know that it's an ideal solution for everyone, but I've been extremely pleased with mine, and would not be happy if I had to give it up.

Back
Top Bottom