Scuba diver's Personal Locator Beacon - how never to be lost at sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Indeed, but at least a smaller case:) than for the McMurdo-s).
Yep, maybe even an obsolete camera case would suffice. That unit doesn't float on its own so it comes attached to a pouch that will keep it at the surface. You'd want to keep that attached and the combined unit would need to fit inside the case.

Don't fret over the fact that the battery has to be factory replaced. It's good for 7 years, costs $259 USD at one site I see (Amazon has it for $349 fail!), so you get to carry it for $37/year before service needed. By that time, there may well be better choices than servicing it - new, improved models, etc.

I carry my PLB in my car everywhere, just in case, in my backpack on any hike, etc. This unit is even smaller and a little lighter than the ACR 2881 I carry. :thumb:

5.2 Battery
The PLB1 contains Lithium batteries for long operating life. Your battery must be replaced
after the expiry date or after the PLB has been activated, even if only for a short period of time.
Battery replacement must be done at an Ocean Signal authorised battery replacement centre.

Stockists - Ocean Signal

Interesting product.

If I didn't have a PLB, I might well go for the PLB1 - Ocean Signal
$260 USD and easily fits in a pocket. :thumb:

My ACR 2881 is a little larger, fills up a cargo pant pocket - but I did get it for $200 after rebate, but the rebate is no longer available.

A few photos with the Rescueme PLB1 and the custom divers container.

Fits in quite well with it's flotation pouch.
No problems at all without the flotation pouch.

Back
Top Bottom