Scuba Diving a Hazardous activity?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jimbeeler

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the correct forum but.....

My wife just retired and was talking to a life insurance agent about getting some life insurance... They asked the usual questions about her medical history and the activities she participates in. Sky diving... Private Pilot... Motorcycle riding... and... Scuba diving.

For me, Scuba diving is one of the most relaxing, easiest things I can do. Almost a Zen thing. I understand that if you're not careful, you can hurt or kill yourself. You can kill yourself falling off a ladder, slipping in the bathtub or driving to the grocery store. It happens every day.

I can understand sky diving, motorcycle riding (which I also do) and other hazardous activities, but scuba diving?

Jim

You are venturing into an alien environment that requires life support equipment to do so. Yeah....my past days as an underwriter are flashing back to me. :D

Also insurance is based in part on actuarial data. So they do not try to evaluate if you are a safe diver but the experience of divers over all.

. . .
I can understand sky diving, motorcycle riding (which I also do) and other hazardous activities, but scuba diving?

This demonstrates to me just the kind of false sense of safety that gets divers into trouble. YOU may not think scuba is risky because you are a good diver, just as you are a good motorcycle rider, etc. Too many people seem to think that all there is to scuba is putting a reg in one's mouth, jumping in, and following the others, and that there's nothing out of place doing that just once a year on vacation, with gear that's been sitting in the garage all year. Insurers know some people think that way.

You are venturing into an alien environment that requires life support equipment to do so. Yeah....my past days as an underwriter are flashing back to me. :D

Yea, I guess if you look at it from that perspective I guess so... It just rubs me the wrong way... I'm ultra careful and find it a stress free, relaxing activity (a lot more relaxing than driving in traffic).

Jim

---------- Post added February 4th, 2015 at 11:46 AM ----------

This demonstrates to me just the kind of false sense of safety that gets divers into trouble. YOU may not think scuba is risky because you are a good diver, just as you are a good motorcycle rider, etc. Too many people seem to think that all there is to scuba is putting a reg in one's mouth, jumping in, and following the others, and that there's nothing out of place doing that just once a year on vacation, with gear that's been sitting in the garage all year. Insurers know some people think that way.

Yep... Y'all are right. When I motorcycle ride, I've got full protective gear including a full face helmet and while it doesn't eliminate the risk, it mitigates it as much as is possible. I try to to the same thing when diving with backups of backups. I guess in my naive mind that's the way everyone does it, which of course is not true.

Jim

There is an important distinction between hazardous and dangerous.

Scuba diving has lots of hazards but because of training and equipment we mitigate those hazards to the point where the activity is not particularly dangerous.

However, once insurance companies become involved all bets are off because the slightest non-disclosure will be used to avoid paying out.

For me, Scuba diving is one of the most relaxing, easiest things I can do. Almost a Zen thing. I understand that if you're not careful, you can hurt or kill yourself.

Jim

I also find scuba diving extremely relaxing which is part of the reason I love it so much. It's also put me in the hospital twice, once for DCS and currently for pneumothorax. I would consider myself to be a good diver, a careful diver. But stuff happens. It is definitely riskier than sitting on the couch knitting (a hobby many friends are encouraging me to take up). One of my lessons learned from DCS is that anyone can get bent on any dive.

Insurance companies obviously need to consider costs. Most dive injuries make flying in a commercial aircraft impossible. It's not cheap to be evacuated by air ambulance.

So is scuba diving risky? In my experience - definitely yes!

I think one thing that elevates the risk for insurance agents is the availability for help. If you in a car accident there is prober lay 30 people around with cell phones. If you have a heart attack underwater and it is 6-9 min to get to the surface IF your buddy noticed right away... Your dead, on the surface CPR can be started aspirin can be administered aed can be applied. You got at least a chance. Not to mention remote area with 45min boat ride.

if you are bothered by the agent's inclusion of scuba, you might want to consider another insurance company. Not all companies have scuba diving riders, some do, others don't. But, read the list carefully.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom