Scuba Diving Breathing techniques ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks everyone , but I still believe it need to be taught somehow and practiced and to do so techniques are important

I used to not think about it much (except to keep breathing slow and steadily), but after reading Steve Lewis's The Six Skills I have been thinking a lot more about breathing techniques for divers. I can't paraphrase it well, but the really short lesson is that good breathing is a skill that can (and should) be taught and learned.

So Which techniques did the "The six skills" teach you.

Just remain Calm, try not to actually think about your breathing technique, just let it flow.. Long deep breaths, concentrate on the actual breathing itself. You'll find that over time you will become more relaxed and your mind will soon learn your breathing pattern and habbits haha, so just long calm breaths... and just keep practicing :)

Thanks everyone , but I still believe it need to be taught somehow and practiced and to do so techniques are important
So Which techniques did the "The six skills" teach you.

I think awareness is important but but good breathing is more effect than cause.

If the diver is thrashing and racing, it will not settle done.

If there is anxiety, peace will not happen,

If cold, warm thoughts won't help.

If unfit, the work will not be easy.

If the gear is in ill repair or fitting poorly, efficiency won't happen.

If general technique is lacking energy will be wasted.

Leaning to breathe slower if not a natural progression is about panic avoidance as much as air conservation

Get that stuff under control and good breathing will follow on it's own. There are times when I find myself moving air more to adjust buoyancy than to support life.

Pete

Last edited:
I breathe as much or as little as I need to. I never worry about using more air, as I just end the dive sooner. That is also why big tanks were invented. Since much of our buoyancy is controlled with lung volume I do alter my breathing on purpose solely to control buoyancy. Otherwise, "Just Dive".

If you want a quick test try this. At random check your pulse and breath rate for 1.0 minute.
Now really focus on your breathing --concentrate on it. Now check it again.
I bet anything your hear rate is up and your breathing is all over the place.
Your body is getting ready to do this "dangerous thing" you are warning it about.
Heck I'm happy for the experienced guys to blow me out of the water here because its only something I learned bike racing and maybee I'm wrong.

Last edited:
In and out works for me :blinking:

In and out works for me

:D that just sounds dirty!!!

Pretty much.....

What I did early on was start diving with a larger cylinder than everyone else was using (most were using 80's, I had a 119) at that point, I stopped worrying about being the first one to run out of air and need to turn the dive....when THAT happened, I stopped WORRYING about my gas consumption, and it all fell into place.

Breathing normally works....

Breathe slowly but extend the exhale. Practice with a count (count of six on the inhale, eight on the exhale, for example). Do this while relaxing, jogging, walking, whatever, until this method of breathing is second nature. Look for info in a yoga book for better instruction. I am not suggesting that you actually count while diving, only while learning and becoming comfortable with the technique.

It's not a good idea to "hold it in for a while". This is 'skip-breathing' and causes you to retain carbon dioxide which needs to be exhaled. Probably your bggest issue is that you have only a few dives. You will, as most of us have, use less air as you get more dives in. Personally, I breathe in quite heavily and then exhale through my nose slowly. This doesn't work for everyone since it has a tendency to cause their mask to fog up. It seems that since I clean my mask with spit and have a purge valve in the botom of my mask it doesn't fog.

I have a purge valve in my mask as well. Does it never leak with you?

I think awareness is important but but good breathing is more effect than cause.

If the diver is thrashing and racing, it will not settle done.

If there is anxiety, peace will not happen,

If cold, warm thoughts won't help.

If unfit, the work will not be easy.

If the gear is in ill repair or fitting poorly, efficiency won't happen.

If general technique is lacking energy will be wasted.

Leaning to breathe slower if not a natural progression is about panic avoidance as much as air conservation

Get that stuff under control and good breathing will follow on it's own. There are times when I find myself moving air more to adjust buoyancy than to support life.

This is a beautiful post! (Almost poetic enough to be one of knowone's :) )

I think progression comes with practice, cause on my first dive after being out of the water for a while I was breathing like a couch potatoe trying to run a marathon, but I'm getting better with my air consumption each dive

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom