Scuba diving dream for MD patient on a ventilator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt,
I think that you should somehow establish a fund for this quest, and post the link on your website and in every article that every paper prints. Then, accept contributions online via the link. There are probably lots of people who would be willing to help you financially. Most of the divers here are not able to actually do the research and development of the necessary gear, etc., but want to help be a part of this. For most of us, the best support we can give is emotionally and financially.

I have a student with Duchene's (he's a 6th grader now, he was in my class in 4th & 5th grades). You have a special place in my heart because I see you in "M", my student. I will tell him all about you, it will encourage him.

Foo

Foo

Hi Foo, thanks for the kind words. I should have a fund set up pretty soon, someone else is doing that for me. But I will be sure to post it immediately! On my web site I already have an updates page that I maintain. I think that's pretty cool you are going to share my story with your student that has Duchennes. He should get a kick out of that. If I can ask, is he dealing with having this disease okay? I know it is hard most days, but having a sense of humor makes it tolerable. If he ever thinks about going diving, tell him to do it sooner than later!!! There's lots of goups that can help. That was my problem, I waited too long. I should have done it before it got to this point. I used to travel all the time, I have been to many different parts of the world with my grandpa. If anyone can make this happen, I can with all the support of my diving friends. I will definitly make this happen and you all will be the first to know all updates on this!

Here's the link to my other thread that one of my friends put up for me: http://www.scubaboard.com/t77588-matt_the_wonder_boy.html
Take care and see you around the board. Safe diving.

-Matt- :dazzler1:

Click here to greet a new member!
:happywave
No experience needed and it feels great!

Matt, may I ask who is going to handle the money? A bank trust department could be a good idea. An individual would be a little risky.

Hey Don, Project Innerspace is taking care of that. I didn't want to set up that account myself and some of my family, well, I didn't want to do that. Hopefully it will be up soon. Take care. Safe diving from Matt.

Posted on Tue, Jan. 18, 2005

Donations assisting man with dream dive

Due to muscular dystrophy, he needs special ventilator to scuba dive

BY NANCY YANG

Pioneer Press

Matt Johnston, a Woodbury man who wants to go scuba diving despite his Duchenne muscular dystrophy, has been attracting donors from across the country since publicizing his dream.
Last month, he began accepting donations via his Web site to help pay for his diving quest. As of this week, he has collected nearly $1,500.
"It's been amazing," Johnston said.
Johnston is on a ventilator 24 hours a day and would need an underwater-capable one in order to dive. That type of ventilator hasn't been fully developed yet, and Johnston predicts he will need to raise at least $200,000 for preliminary engineering research and design.
One of Johnston's most recent donations comes from Ed and Liz Ginocchio of Mystic Island, N.J. The part-time residents of Bonaire Island in the southern Caribbean and owners of the Golden Reef Inn there said they will give Johnston and any medical or diving personnel with him one week's worth of free lodging, should he ever do a dive there. The Ginocchios are members of an online scuba-diving forum, of which Johnston is also a member.
"He deserves every chance possible," Liz Ginocchio said. "And if we can make someone else's dream come true, that's absolutely wonderful."
Johnston is still working on other ways to raise money. Last week he began selling merchandise at www.zazzle.com, an online marketplace.
He is selling custom-made T-shirts, sweatshirts, tank tops and polo shirts featuring his diving dream logo. A percentage of the sales will go toward the project, and Johnston said he also would like diving stores to sell the shirts. Those interested in purchasing the shirts should type "Matt Johnston" into the search area.
Johnston said he also anticipates selling baseball caps and other merchandise that can display his logo.
For more information about Johnston, visit www.scubadivingdream.com or www.divingadream.org

Thought I would bump this thread.

It is tax return time so dig deep boys and girls and donate. Lets all help get Matt under the water.

They call me persistent Matt...but you now wear the crown....lol
Thanks to all for your support!

-M- :scubadive

Gotta do what'cha gotta do!!

Hi, Matt! Glad to see you still posting hello's to the newbies, you do a great job. I'm wondering if you have a personal preference as to the support that we show, whether a sale at your Zazzle store or a flat donation? I'm happy to help either way, but would am not sure which you would prefer. Thanks so much!
Foo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom