"scuba diving for cripples..... gear advice wanted. "

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

COMABOY

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi there,
Having now gotten my medical ok'd I am now starting to think about gear. For those who haven't read my other thread on this forum I had a motorcycle accident where I performed a flying head butt into a tree. This left me with amongst other things 3 broke vertebra in my neck and 6 in my thoracic/lumber spine. Despite this I still have the use of my legs and while I tend to 'mosey' along, I walk just fine.

Carrying weight on my spine however is another kettle of fish. whilst I can walk with all my gear on in tropical climes (3mm shortie wetsuit and 5 weights), my usual dive environment is cold water 5 degrees centigrade (41F). Cold water means more rubber and more rubber means more weight. More weight means sore back.

Im not a small bloke at 6' and 250 pounds

What I am looking for is a solution as far as gear was concerned. I was thinking about 7mm semi-dry and a BC with some sort of integral weight system so that I can pass as much weight up as possible. what would be good is if I could take the whole freakin BC off first before I got out of the water.

do you guys reckon this would work, how much weight can a BC carry? is it possible to chuck your BC in first and then put it on? How about passing weight up and then taking your BC off before getting out?

Or will dive boat operators think it all a bit hard?

Cheers

CB

Hi Comaboy, glad to hear you've recovered enough to start diving again. Your questions might be better answered in the handicapped diving forum. I'll ask a mod to move it. You could also contact the Handicapped Scuba Association, Handicap Scuba Association, or Diveheart, Diveheart Foundation Official Website. Both of these agencies have extensive experience in adapting gear and/or procedures for divers with disabilities.

Best regards,
DDM

Don't know about the boats you specifically use, but talk to them. I've never seen an op where that won't help out with stuff like this when needed (and conditions allowing), even boats/places where they don't usually do a lot for you. I've seen it done for people with bad backs, knees, injuries, etc. People may pass up weights, jump in and have gear dropped to them to don in water, take off BC in water and they lift it out, whatever works.

It's possible to pass up a weight belt, not just integrated weights. One thing you might consider with integrated weights and a fair amount of weight, is to split the weight between a belt and integrated, if you are ok with a belt of some weight. Avoids issue of too much weight for integrated system, and splitting up weight has a number of advantages. And depending on the situation, you might find you don't have to pass it all up individually - maybe if your BC is passed up you could climb up with a small belt, and if some weight is on a belt your BC won't be so heavy and they can lift it without removing integrated weights and doing the pieces separately - less stuff to potentially drop.

I have integrated weights on my Mares Dragon and have no problem at all passing them up and prior to boarding or even passing up my weights and then passing up my BCD prior to exiting the water.

I have yet to encounter a boat crew that wasnt willing to do whatever necessary to assist me. After all, you are paying them and they want to keep you coming back as a customer.

I have a disabliity that restricts me and has resulted in knackered knees (+ I am only a 'little' girlie), and I always kit up in the water for a shore dive which helps and then de-kit in the shallows after the dive. When boat diving I always let the boat crew know what I need and check what works best for them. Often they will place my kit nearest the entry point on the boat. Sometimes it will mean I'm the first to 'jump' in, sometimes the last. Before getting back on the boat I usually take off my BC before getting back on, although I have integrated weights (which I love as I feel much less constricted around the middle), I find it quicker just to unclip my BC and the boat guys heave it up.

I'd say that if a boat crew was not willing to accomodate you then 'stuff 'em!'. Thus far though, diving in many different parts of the world I've found everyone very helpful, particularly when you clearly communicate what you need. I've only had a problem with one very patronising dive guide who was too busy looking in every reflective surface he could find.....he was really pleased when I left the boat as he could get a rest....I made sure he did everything for me!

Best of luck and have fun shopping for new shiney kit....ooooh shopping...!!!

I have seen multiple divers with bad backs doff their gear in water and the crew lifts it out for them. Just ask them before so they are ready for you and don't mistake your actions of doffing gear as being in distress. They may ask you to hand up the weights first so they don't have to lift tank+weights at the same time. No big deal.

It is common to put on and remove gear in the water and to allow others to carry the weight in and out of the water. I have done with with beach and boat dives for the adaptive divers I dive with. You can use a weight belt or weight intergrated. Advantages to each. If weight intergrated the crew may appreiate it if you removed the weights and handed them up first. To put the gear on, sit on the back of the boat, have the crew position the gear behind you as you sit on the swim step and gear up there then just do a forward roll in the water.

I have worked in many places around the world and have always been happy to help to make it easier for the divers to get in and out the water. Kitting up in water makes much more sense with a back problem as does removing kit before exiting, be it just weight or the BCD too. One thing to be aware of is let the boat staff know what help you need and Dont need. Also its good to remove any integrated weights before handing up BCD's, puts less strain on them and the boat staff, lifting weights in BCD's can be awkward from some boat set-ups.

Back
Top Bottom