"Scuba Diving Killing Older Divers"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure what constitutes "old" here so I'll run with the "grumpy" part. IMHO it's diving and other activities like diving that keep all of us "alive" - not just the old. Most people die engaged in an activity they regularly do. This is the same as the statistic that says most car accidents happen within a 50 ile radius of your home. OF COURSE THEY DO...99.9% of your driving is done within a 50 mile radius of your home.

Scuba diving is not a physically conditioning activity when performed correctly. If an older diver (45+) is knowingly charter boat diving with heart disease I am ready to call that a very selfish act. If they are unknowingly diving with heart disease see my prior post. Charter boat captains and crews are greatly affected by a diver passing on their watch. Not good...

Charter boat captains and crews are greatly affected by a diver passing on their watch. Not good...

I'm gonna guess that the diver is somewhat affected as well.....

Scuba diving is not a physically conditioning activity when performed correctly. If an older diver (45+) is knowingly charter boat diving with heart disease I am ready to call that a very selfish act. If they are unknowingly diving with heart disease see my prior post. Charter boat captains and crews are greatly affected by a diver passing on their watch. Not good...

Well I guess some "poor" crew is going to be scarred for life. I hope I am diving right up to the bitter end and could not think of many better places to drift away. So to speak. The crew better say, "Wow at least the old dude died doing what he loved!"

Who was it that used to have the sig line that went something like: "when I die I want to go peacefully, in my sleep, like my grandfather did, rather than screaming in terror, like his passengers?" :wink:

I would rather not die diving, any more than I wish to die riding my Harley, BUT, I intend to do both right up until as close to the end as I can, and if either of those is how I go, so be it.
I intend to be doing my best to enjoy both parts of my life safely, for as absolutely long as I can.

Most any damn thing in life can and may kill you. You're absolutely not getting out of it alive. But an awful lot of people effectively die, some young and some older, but keep on breathing and talking, from their morning routine 'til the 10 o'clock news ends, day after day, year after year, long after they've forgotten even what it was like to wonder what it would be like to dare to do the things they didn't dare to do. The point of life, the only point that makes any sense, is to learn to die well. And I don't think you can do that unless you do more than merely live. Doing extraordinary things is what keeps reminding you what the point of it all is.

Most any damn thing in life can and may kill you. You're absolutely not getting out of it alive. But an awful lot of people effectively die, some young and some older, but keep on breathing and talking, from their morning routine 'til the 10 o'clock news ends, day after day, year after year, long after they've forgotten even what it was like to wonder what it would be like to dare to do the things they didn't dare to do. The point of life, the only point that makes any sense, is to learn to die well. And I don't think you can do that unless you do more than merely live. Doing extraordinary things is what keeps reminding you what the point of it all is.

Thread winner!

We would all do well to remember sentiments such as this.......especially me sometimes.

J.

Scuba diving can be a "physically conditioning activity". We jetty dive weekly in our cold murky NW Pacific Ocean waters. My friend (60 years old) and I (59 years old) definitely condition our cardiovascular systems as we work up quite a sweat in our 7mm farmer johns as we climb over the rocks and dive finger to finger, in surge and current in 49 degree water (Fahrenheit). Yes, we walk during the week, but our workouts are on the weekend dives.

I guess we aren't performing "correctly" - but we are having a blast!

still new:
still new Yeah, I know what you are saying. I see my Doc every year take my HTN meds , try to behave, only vice is Cigars and the odd drink. Was diving in Mexico this winter with no problems came home had chest discomfort, went to my Doc and now I'm waiting for 4X bypass.
What do you mean waiting. I had three bypasses done 11 years ago and I had to hold the doctor back a week to get somethings done before surgery. He would have done it then and there in his office.
Look at his location. Canada. One way to control medical costs is by limiting the resources, such as the number of medical doctors. This results in wait lists.

This is why my uncle from Ontario had his cataract surgery done in Florida.

Back
Top Bottom