Scuba Diving Magazine Solo Diver Analysis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I liked the article and just wanted to say I think more of a point should be made about SMB use by solo diovers. This diver was doing a shallow reef photg dusk dive and it is very easy to drag a deployed marker along if you are alone. This way, the boat captain and crew can track your location if that is acceptable..varies regionally quite a bit.
The article made it a point to say that solo diving is very controversial, and the captain "went along" with the plan because the diver was an Instructor, etc.

Dragging a marker, IMO makes all involved much more comfortable and you don't have to be constantly scanning the water, horizon and guessing about air consumption. A lot of divers who have markers rarely use them, even though they are one of the most useful and practical pieces of gear. It is quite easy to drag one along, even while using a camera. I'd like to see divers not think of them as emergency gear, but a practical tool.

Anytime you become seperated buddy/group situation included, I think it works well to blow it, even if you are opting to continue the dive with your partner, or if you anticipate a buddy surfacing to "look" for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom