Suggestion Scuba Diving Wiki

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
ChillyWaters

ChillyWaters

Contributor
Reaction score
I would like to put out a question to Scubaboard and its members on the adoption of a wiki for scuba diving (on Scubaboard). While the forum is great for discussions, it does nothing for holding relatively static content, such as:
1. Dive site listings -- including descriptions of sites, maps, currents, etc.
2. Information on all aspects of diving -- which essentially equates to a user modifiable FAQ for each of the major forums here.
3. ??

For those who don't know what a wiki is, it's essentially a webpage where users can modify and add its content. E.g. see en.wikipedia.org -- the Internet's encyclopedia.

Specifically, I would love to have and contribute to a wiki for diving sites in my area. It's pointless to keep posting questions on where to dive when this information could simply be contained in a wiki.

For scubaboard, the wiki should simply equate to more revenue, as they get more user-created pages that would allow easy surfing, and thus the delivery of more advertisements, and the opening up to a bigger audience.

Thoughts?

For an example of what I'm talking about, see:
http://www.wikiscuba.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
(However, it doesn't really have a community, and has a slow server).

- ChillyWaters

I've always hated the layout, look, and feel of wiki. Surely there's got to be a better way...

onfloat:
Great then we could create our own wikiality!! Where can edit our facts about scuba diving and define our own truth, we just have to get enough people to agree to it.:wink:

:D

Actually, with respect to wikipedia, there was some research done to compare the correctness of it vs real encyclopedias, and you'd be surprised to hear that they are in fact on par with each other. Real encyclopedias aren't perfect either. Also, Wikipedia is hoping to start stabilizing pages when they reach maturity.

Anyways, back to the real discussion, wikis for scuba related stuff just makes sense. It would be good to have a place to search out answers rather than posting all the time. It would save people from asking those same old questions, over and over.

Also, for what I want, it would make a great tool for sharing and describing dive sites. Imagine being able to simply look up and contribute to a listing of all the dive sites in your area. Where are the best places to go? What does the topography look like? What can be found? Where to park? What are the currents like? Blah, blah, blah...

- ChillyWaters

I know that we had something like that, look at the top bar - Dive directory, and it is being updated as we type (so I have been told), just don't know when it will be back.

your idea has value and substance, but anyone who's been on the board longer than 10 posts will have noticed that definitions, clasifications, ratings, meanings or even spellings can be discussed here with rabid fanaticism that makes discussions of religion seem bland by comparison

if there was a way to "moderate" or at least keep the posting of definitions and information on the wiki "factual" rather than "opinionated" then we might have something... but really now... i wouldn't be surprised if "air" had various guarded definitions here as well...

Jag

I'll add my N00B 2 cents.

I like wiki. Unless you have reviewers that are off their rockers, it should be awesome. The key is fact and not opinion, unless the opinion is well noted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom