Scuba etiquette 101

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chepar

Contributor
Reaction score
I hope this topic hasn't been discussed to death before - if it has, please point me in the right direction. (I did a quick search with the terms "pet peeves" with no results).

I always enjoy hearing about inconsiderate, annoying and otherwise socially challenged divers and their irritating habits - if only to make sure that I am not guilty of those offensive behaviors myself. :rolleyes:

I try to be considerate of others, their gear, their personal space, etc. - both underwater and above.
However, I have observed some people that seem to be vying for the jerk of the year award - but maybe it's because they don't know any better.

So, lay it on me - what are your biggest peeves with other divers? I sure hope I don't recognize myself in any of your posts. :)

I can honestly say that the biggest peeve for me when talking to some divers is idiotic immature egos some carry:upset:

When I am on a two dive trip on a boat and some dumb butt uses a tank and puts the cap back on it like it's new and I get all my gear hooked up only to find out it's been used and I have to take all my gear off the tank and do the whole routine all over again.....:upset: That really sucks.

Amber

I have had a limited number of dive partners...but from my expirances so far, only one things annoys me. It's when divers wont take my advice. I know I'm young and relativly inexperianced, but I'm not stupid. Sometimes it's just plain logic. For example...when I was diving in the Keys, my mom was my dive partner (pic on profile hehehe) and I told her she needed to start looking up when she came up from a dive. She didn't listen to me and sure enough, she came up right underneath a boat. She hasn't dove in over 16 years, and I was showing her how to stream line herself, work out the kinks in her bouyancy skills...but she wouldn't listen to me. Just because I'm younger, doesn't mean I don't know anything.

that has to be the biggest one

but then the one for now is the yahoo that picks up his gear and slings it over his head....

I'm a smoker, and most people aren't (although divers seem to have a higher tendancy). When I smoke on a boat, I'm 'always' downwind and I always knock the head off of my butt and put the actual filter in a 'receptical' (usually a pocket, leaving it in common trash is inconsiderate because some people are so offended by the smell).

I can't stand it when people smoke in an inconsiderate manner. It really bothers me when someone tosses a butt off a boat. (I'm guilty of this crime, once in Thailand, once in Coz) Being a smoker I realize this is a 'holier than thou' attitude. I consider this one of my many foibles. But, it bothers me tremendously. Like Martha Stewart would be offended if someone vomitted without previously exclaiming, "Pardon me, I need to hurl."

Fishkiller; I might resemble that statement. Thats how I put my gear on most of the time. However I'm certainly no Mr Ah-Nuld Muscles. I don't however use the technique on a boat and I don't do it when anyone is near me.

Its something I learned to do with my backpack back in my days working with the Boy Scouts. I started using the technique when I started diving solo since there was no one to help me with the gear.

Suggestion for jbd,
why can you not put your gear on on your own without putting over your head? Why not stand it up, (Keeping a hand on the valve until ready) bend your knees into a squat position, and wear the bcd like a jacket and then stand up. Works for me in a dry suit with 30lbs of lead on.

My pet peeves ...

I hate masks on heads after dives. You wanna take it off? Put it under your chin. I do it every dive to put on my shades, to fulfill the second rule of diving.

I also hate the dive guides who will not let the photgraphers take photos at their pace. I like to be slooowww, and sometimes, I will only be into a dive for 5/10 minutes when I want to stop and enjoy the little things. Then to be harrassed by guides because I am holding the group up. I paid for this dive, I want to do it my way. If necessary, give me another photgrapher and we can sort out our own dive plan. I am a big boy now and can be trusted to stick to the depth and time limits.

I hate the people who think they are too good to do a check dive. Picture this ... two divers on the boat for a weeks diving at a resort. Done a few hundred dives each. Everyone does a check dive to prevent bad bouyancy, so you do a 20 minute bimble, where you get your bouyancy right by a few exercises the guide has you do, and see a little bit of marine life. But mainly it is to see if you are good enough to go on the good stuff without trashing it. Except these two. They have dived last week and their bouyancy is perfect. But refuse to do a check dive. Once convinced that it is either check dive or no dive, they do it with resentment and rancour. Sure their bouyancy is perfect, but we did not know that.

I could go on for ever ...
How do non-swimmers get certified?
Fathers who say their non certified son is fine to dive because he taught him
Tanks standing up unattended (I have seen the damage a falling tank does to it and the toes it lands on)

I hate impatient crew.

I like to relax on my hang, I like to relax on my way back to the boat. Last weekend I was told to hurry up while I was floating back to the back of the boat. I was told I was going the wrong way as I drifted a little away from the boat in flat calm water as someone was about to jump in. I was told to hurry up as I sat on the bench after a dive. When I said there was plenty of time he came over and pulled my fins off. When I went to loosen my shoulder strap he got mad "It's the last dive of the day, just un-clip it. There's a s**tload of people coming out soon"

Never bothering to ask _me_ where the rest of the divers are. Gee... there is 3 on the line, all from the opposite bench, all with at least 5 minutes of deco left.

Back
Top Bottom