Scuba etiquette 101

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A list of things I hate, By JamesK

I hate DM's and crew who try to set up your gear, even after you tell them that you will do it yourself. Leave my gear alone!

I hate DM's who look at your gear, and ask why you have such a long hose. When you tell them it is simply genetics, they don't get it. Then when you try to be serious and explain it to them. They say, oh, I dive all tech gear myself. Then you look at their gear to see a total of 7 knives attached everywhere imaginable, a console that is on a 36" hose and hangin WAY behind them, and the freediving fins!

I hate guided dives. I dive because I like to relax, not play follow the leader behind a bunch of Troy Bilts.

I hate DM's who tell you that you are not streamlined because your knees are bent as you are hovering horizontal over a reef checking out something. Sorry, but I am streamlined, and it is called a modified frog kick, Jack**s! Unlike his rig where you have to watch your back because some horny Giant Squid is going to see your console and Octo flapping in the current and think you are a brightly colored mate.

I hate when I see people who are supposed to be Advanced divers, tearing up a reef.

I hate when I go into a cave, and the team before me decided to leave some nice fin and hand prints in the clay floor and make vis drop.

I hate when I go into a dive shop, and ask the employee for a 7 foot hose and spring straps, and they tell me their is no such thing.

"I always enjoy hearing about inconsiderate, annoying and otherwise socially challenged divers and their irritating habits"

This is not inconsiderate, but it's definately annoying and irritating, except when coming from folks who speak English as a second (or third) language. If you're from the UK, Canada, Australia, US or another English speaking country you should know better.

It is annoying when people confuse words that have totally different meanings. Examples are:

1. there, their, they're
2. to, too, two
3. then, than
4. sight, site

There are others that don't come to mind just now.

I am guilty of that sometimes when I am typing faster than my brain is thinking! :D

Well James
as as a DM myself yours problems are very common.

I think that a lot of DMs come up ranks very quickly these days,
this is why they always question gear and think they are helping when they are in fact being a pain............
Basicly most DMs do not have the experience you have..

I have trainned with a UK organisation for 5 years before crossing over to a DM. that gave me a lot of experience of Deco diving mixed gas blar blar blar.......

I have encounter a few pain in the arse divemasters myself on
various trips. I have vowed never to become one.

Oh and yes Masks on heads are very annoying:upset:

Divers that give you a kick in the head are just so looking for a kick back............... but we do have to remmember ..everyone has to learn............

But unforgiving has to be the reefs.all the poor sea fans and beautiful corals that get bashed off their ledges.........if we see people doing this we must tactfully tell them to be careful...educate

Thanks
Tara
AI BSAC
DM 624325

Tara,

I hope it did not seem like I was coming down on ALL DM's. I have dove with many that are great.

Anyway, you say we need to deal tactfully with people who tear up reefs. A lot of times, I have problems with that. My approach of "Hey you idiot, quite tearing up the reef" is sometimes deemed as insensitive. (Actaully, I have never said that to anyone) I just can not think of a way to say it without being rude. I do not want to hurt anyones feelings, but I would like to know how to approach this problem. Any suggestions?

Spectre once bubbled...
I was told to hurry up as I sat on the bench after a dive. When I said there was plenty of time he came over and pulled my fins off. When I went to loosen my shoulder strap he got mad "It's the last dive of the day, just un-clip it. There's a s**tload of people coming out soon"

James

no worries mate i did not think you were being hard you were speaking your experiences....

and yes i know what you mean about reefs..........it is very hard to reframe from shouting at them.. I feel strongly about our underwater world to...
If i see some one tearing up the reef, when i talk to them i try and explain to them that its take years for the delicate fans etc to grow and that if they kick or destroy them this is catastofik to the underwater world........ Really go into detail and I usually find that the student is so shocked that the next dive they become much more carefull......
Even if the divers are not under your control, you must still mention to them..... If they have any sort of heart they will listen and take care in future...

Tara

:jester:

I once gave one of my spare hose clips to a dive buddy who was letting his octo trail behind him. On another trip when I didn't have a spare I simply suggested to a newly certified diver that he might want to clip up his console and octo so they don't go all over the place when he dives. I didn't say, "Hey you dip&%$#, you're tearing up the sea fans with your loose gear." I mentioned that dragging gear can get damaged and oh, buy the way, if you secure it you won't have to worry about damaging the sea fans.

The time I reached over and lifted a diver off of a bit of coral that she was tearing up did not go over too well, I'm afraid. I know that it was the wrong approach. It happened at the end of a trip in which I had witnessed her banging into coral left and right as if she simply wasn't aware that it was a living organism. Finally I watched her graze the top of a bunch of coral and knock off bits with her loose gear and her belly and I just lost my mind and pulled her up.

JamesK once bubbled...
Tara,

Anyway, you say we need to deal tactfully with people who tear up reefs. A lot of times, I have problems with that. My approach of "Hey you idiot, quite tearing up the reef" is sometimes deemed as insensitive. (Actaully, I have never said that to anyone) I just can not think of a way to say it without being rude. I do not want to hurt anyones feelings, but I would like to know how to approach this problem. Any suggestions?

I just took forever to write my peice..then pressed the wrong button........

so here goes again...........
No James i dont think you are coming down on DMs, I like listening to peoples experiences it will make me a better divemaster.............

The Reefs:

When i see some one making a sham of the reef... Weather they are under my supervision or just one of the beginners in my dive club.... I first try very hard not to scream at them!!!!!!!! even though i want to with a passion!!!!!!!!!I talk to them and explain in great detail about that poor seafan they kicked off.. it takes years for them to grow and explain how they are destroying the underwater world...............
Really go into one about it............... Then if they half a heart you will see them being very carefull on the next dive...................... well its worked for me.....

The guys in my dive club are always moaning at me because i set the lobster free, the ones they bring up around the coast of the UK................

Tara.... sorry for spelling, typing to fast

:upset:

Yes thats exactly what i meant when i said tactfully...

If we explain why to these people they will think

Tara

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom