Scuba for young children

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chris_b

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just opened up my copy of Newsweek yesterday and was excited to see an article about scuba. There's a copy on the web at http://www.msnbc.com/news/747849.asp?cp1=1

The different attitudes toward this attributed to the spokesmen of the two agencies mentioned are very interesting.

I have posted some regarding this issue in the past. My children were certified (junior certs) when they were 12 years old. However, I limited their number of dives and their depth. I only allowed one dive trip per year and their depth to 40 ft. Why?

It is well known that Nitrogen can be absorbed into the bones. Kids have softer bones then adults, so it is very likely that more nitrogen would be absorbed into their bones. Bones are not completely formed until you are in your early twenties. So, it is obvious to me that lots of diving and deep diving when you are young can damage your bones (my opinion only, there could be some studues out there, I don't know). In any case although I love to dive and my kids love to dive, I did not want them being the guinae pigs for research on how much damage nitrogen does to growing bones.

I also believe that kids younger than about 12 should not be on SCUBA. Let them learn how to snorkle or really free dive until they are old enough to pay attention in SCUBA class and understand the repercussions of DCS. Even then, you, as the parent, need to determine if the individual child is really mature enough to be a safe diver. If I was an instructor, I would be extremely careful about certifying children to dive.

Good Article.

I tend to agree with it. under a supervised environment to a child who has been practicing safe water skills, why can't they enjoy the basics of diving? Its not as if they are donning a dry suit and jumping head first for a wrek 100 feet deep! =)

But I also agree with NAUI's concern over the effects of diving and nitrogen on the body that maybe wouldn't be as apparent on an adult, as would a child..

Any other thoughts?

Paul

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom