Scuba Gear Resale Values

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

.....like a full US Divers Conshelf or SEA setup with octo and gauges for less than $100 with shipping.

you are doing it wrong :cool2:

Maybe so but I do not think so. I set up a snipe and wait. I admit that most of the time I go cheap but even so my bid is the second highest so I did bid the price up. If I don't bid some things go dirt cheap.

---------- Post added March 29th, 2013 at 03:03 PM ----------

Just to add to that a bit. If an item is listed as buy-now from an individual, you are most likely running into people how are essentially fishing for a sucker. Some are aggressive sellers, others are just inexperienced and don't know the real value of their goods, only what they paid for them. They loose most of the time (hence the high number of items not sold), but there are enough suckers to make it worthwhile. Companies on the other hand tend to have a more accurate view of the value of the goods and if you find one really trying to dispose of un-needed goods, you may get a deal. You have to know your prices to tell the difference.

If it is a true auction, which are designed to maximize the selling price, its very simple. Their effectiveness depends on the size of the pool of the people bidding. Ebay is very large and the pool so big its hard to get a good deal. One way to do this is to use one of the tools that will bid for you in the last few seconds of the auction, much faster than a human. If you avail yourself of these tools, then the pool of people you are effectively bidding against is smaller (only those using similar tools) and you have a better change of winning an item.

I disagree. When I look at the actions I bid on, win or lose, there is never more than five real bidders. Real bidders are those that pay close to what the item should cost. I do not count people bidding $.99 on a Mk25/S600.

---------- Post added March 29th, 2013 at 03:04 PM ----------

.....like a full US Divers Conshelf or SEA setup with octo and gauges for less than $100 with shipping.

For some reason older Aqualung gear does not have the same appeal as older Scubapro gear.

I typically sell any used gear for 1/2 it's retail price.
I certainly won't pay any more than that.

I generally won't even bother replying to ads with too high of an asking price. Those seller are either clueless about the real value of their gear, or they are overly optimistic; either way, it's too much of a hassle dealing with these sellers.

Cheers,
Mitch

If you bought a new scubapro reg on a great market then yes you can get 2/3 or sometimes even 100 of what you paid for it if you sell it on season. But otherwise 50% is a fair number

---------- Post added March 29th, 2013 at 03:04 PM ----------

For some reason older Aqualung gear does not have the same appeal as older Scubapro gear.

It is mostly the 109 with Mark V, X etc. in Scubapro. In USD it is the Conshelf and the Aqua Masters and Mistrals. But, the 109 will generally bring more, even much more than a Conshelf, though frankly, the Conshelf is a less finicky, more simple, easier serviced and generally better all around regulator. That is of course an opinion. Course, I also have several of both. The 109 has the panache something that is hard to put a finger on, the Conshelf just works.

N

I loose a lot on EBay, but I find that over time I eventually can get what I want at the price I want to pay. It is not a way to buy gear in a hurry, but I have too much crap already. You can figure the value of an item by watching what it actually sells for over time rather than relying on the list price.

Craigslist can turn out ok if you are fast and already know what you want and what's a reasonable price. The advantage is actually seeing the item.

Bob
---------------------

The reason is very simple. AL lovers on SB are smarter than SP lovers (like myself) and do not rave on SB how awesome their regs are. So ebay prices and thus the prices on other sites stay low.:)

---------- Post added April 3rd, 2013 at 04:09 PM ----------

Conshelf, though frankly, the Conshelf is a less finicky, more simple, easier serviced and generally better all around regulator.
Yes yes, keep going Nemrod, next thing you know is that they sell for 100+ for a stage on the ebay :)

People, me including, rave how nice the D series is and now some folks try to sell them for 150+ :)

Back
Top Bottom