Scuba knife/knives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use the UK remora, as I dont like locking mechanisms. Hard to deploy with gloves on. I do carry mine on my calf, but my concern is getting it out, not getting it back in. But a folding Spyderco on my harness wouldnt be a bad idea someday.

I keep a titanium line cutter and a Kershaw Amphibian as my main knife. The Kershaw is a fairly cheap but well made high-carbon steel knife that takes and holds a perfect edge. Some cleaning and silicone grease prevents rust, and the sheath works well in multiple mounting positions. It's a one-piece knife and it's best to remove the rubber skeleton grip and replace it with cord. However, after doing so one has to reshape the sheath to hold the knife securely.

Dive knives are like dive watches, some of us can never have too many...
Dive knives have a couple of intrinsic qualities, one is utility, the other is style.
Utility for me includes a serrated edge, curring edge, line cutter, and a blunt tip. I have used the serrated edge to saw through uncooperative cable ties, the cutting edge to cut line on a boat, a line cutter to free myself from monofillament line (that is, abandoned fishing line) and as a pry bar for roack scallops.
But, my knives also have a style element to them and it is important to properly accessorize depending on the situation. After all, dive gear choice is ultimately a vehicle for self-expression, and sometime you feel like Ramboizing.
My choices in no particular order are
Any Wenoka Sea-style Knife designed by Blackie Collins (I have three, you can sometimes find them on Ebay relatively cheap)
Benchmade H20 fixed blade Yellow
Benchmade H20 folder Yellow (dobles as my pocket knife)
Kabar USN knife
Schrade orange handle water rat

Figure out what works for you and go for it.

Back
Top Bottom