Scuba knife/knives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RIteen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I have been researching scuba knives recently, and I have noticed there are alot! This too will be one of my first purchases, probably before anything else (ie: BCD or Reg) simply due to the fact that I can rent gear for longer than I can rent lives if I were to become entangled in something... I have determined that I will probably carry 2 knives with me simply for safety's sake..

I know that one will be blunt tip for digging/prying, and debating between either a drop point, a tanto, or a gut hook (not a knife per se..) Med shears might be difficult with gloves on...

But what would you say? A few crossed my radar, such as McNett Saturna (Blunt), the Gerber Prodigy,S&W Bullseye SAR, "Marine Drop Point Survival Knife"(stupid sounding, yes, but rated well and only $11... lol), perhaps a karambit.. Shooting ideas out there.

I am NOT looking to go underwater with something out of Rambo! Nor a giant Arkansas Toothpick! However, I do want one of a decent size. No bigger I would say than a Ka-Bar. The sharp pointy one would stay on my leg. Probably rarely come out, but there incase of a Giant Clownfish Attack! lol. That would be the one for cutting things, more so than the blunt one.

My question, also, is where you draw the line between combat knife and dive knife. Remembering that I am not into spearfishing!

Suggestions are good. I would actually prefer skeleton handles/no scales, as then I can simply make my own paracord wrap.

I figured you guys would know, as I have no experience with dive knives, or fixed blades for that matter... I am a pocket knife guy (we needed them when I was a boy scout, but never needed fixed blades!)

I don't intend to buy yet, but I am writing down these things, so soon I can enroll and get said things...

I use a Ka-Bar size knife that I strap to the top of my leg so the handle is where my hand would naturally come to rest and a folding lock blade that I clip to my harness. The larger one I tend to use more for prying or cutting larger objects. The smaller one for cutting fishing line. Both are sharpened with a bastard file that creates lots of burrs, prefect for cutting fishing line. Sharpened this way you do not have to cut the line, just touching it with the knife will do.

A dive knife is used primarily for safety and convenience. According to the PADI Open Water book, the knife should i) be either stainless steel or titanium (more expensive, less rust and maintenance), ii) have both a sharp cutting edge and a serrated sawing edge, and iii) come with a sheath/holder.

My knife is a small titanium knife that goes with the PADI suggestions. It's small for convenience, and I've only used it on fishing line. It's rarely used. To be honest, you don't need any more than a small knife like this http://www.scubatoys.com/store/knives/pics/fusilier.jpg. The blunt edge can pry, the little notch is good for fishing line, and the serrated side is good for fishing line too and sawing larger things.

You'll likely rarely use the knife, so it's nice if it's small and out of the way. However, you do want a knife made for diving.

A knife is just a disposable tool that you will use as a hammer/knife/prybar/screwdriver and also as a bottle opener after the dive. Do not spend alot so you will not be disapointed when you loose it in Davey Jones Locker. Shop ebay and pickup something used, most are bairly used. They can be had for $10

A knife is just a disposable tool that you will use as a hammer/knife/prybar/screwdriver and also as a bottle opener after the dive. Do not spend alot so you will not be disapointed when you loose it in Davey Jones Locker. Shop ebay and pickup something used, most are bairly used. They can be had for $10

Agreed - this is not a major decision as you will lose/break/replace these frequently throughout your diving career. This is throwaway gear (important throwaway gear, but highly replaceable nonetheless).

Get a pack of steak knives from walmart for 7 or 8 bucks and cut the tips off. Now you have 5 dive knives. FYI, experienced divers dont invest in large knives that divers tend to strap to their legs. Its an entanglement hazard and is not needed. I prefer a simple liner cutter or Z knife and some shears.

I carry a sawed-off serrated steak knife (AKA Dalton safety knife/DIR knife) and Trauma shears.
The trauma shears & pouch can be bought in your usual dive shop or website. The knife w/ sheath can too, but it is much cheaper to make your own. I came out in the end with 12 knives and two sheaths for the same price it would cost to buy two Dalton Safety knives w/ shealths off the web.
Although honestly it would have cost way more if I didn't already have a dremel.

If you need a big knife for prying then buy one when you can think of an actual situation where you would need a 5in blunt-tip blade. I have yet to come across one. The shears and Dalton knife cover all my bases for open water.
Shears for cutting zip ties and cables when I'm on science dives, Dalton knife for everything else.

DIR Dalton Safety Knife.jpg

W.jpg

If you need a big knife for prying then buy one when you can think of an actual situation where you would need a 5in blunt-tip blade. I have yet to come across one.

Prying open sea scallops on rocks and cutting the meat out is the only application I've found. Though if you know of a better way to extract scallops from their shells without taking the whole exoskeleton (there's a lot of life that grows on the shells, seems a waste to destroy that too) I'm all ears!

When you get right down to it, almost anything made as a 'dive knife' will probably do. Forget about digging or prying for now...unless you get into a specialty where you need it and by then you'll know what you need.

I like the Spyderco dive knives made of H1 steel. They won't rust insalt water. Some kind of z-knife is a good idea...I like the Eezeecut Trilobite. Shears are also a good idea because you can cut with them without putting tension on whatever you need to cut.

The most important thing about a dive knife is its sheath. It has to be secure, easy to access and easy to resheathe. Strap it to the inside of your calf so you can easily reach it with either hand.

Have fun shopping!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom