Scuba Law?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pittyyofool

Contributor
Reaction score
Southern California USA "yes it is a different sta
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Is there any US or state laws regulating the physical act of scuba diving?
Is there any US or state laws regulating scuba certification agencies?
What makes padi, naui and ssi etc. a scuba certification agency, who allows them to hand out C-cards?

Thankfully, no, not in the US. That's not to say there aren't laws that apply to boats or requirements for using diver down markers, etc. or transporting tanks for commerce. And access restrictions are a fact of life. But the government isn't in the scuba certification business. So who allows the certification agencies oversee certifications and issue c-cards? They do.

Who decides who gets to be called a lawyer? Other lawyers. Same thing for CPAs.

Government regulation isn't the answer to every question. Usually they step in where existing self-regulation has obviously failed and some politician or another decides to step in and "do something" (usually "for the children").

Welcome to ScubaBoard!

What makes padi, naui and ssi etc. a scuba certification agency, who allows them to hand out C-cards?
In the free world, you're generally able to do what you want, unless it is specifically prohibited for one reason or another. So far, no legislative body of any importance has seen fit to specifically prohibit private entities from offering certifications (in America anyway - other countries, YMMV). On the other hand, there isn't anything particularly "legal" about these certs. They're not like a driver's license. The law doesn't care if you have a cert or not. There is nothing to keep you from going diving without one, nor does having one entitle you to anything special - generally speaking. Certain local governments may require them for diving in certain situations (like those wacky beach people in California I keep hearing about) - I'm sure one does SOMEWHERE. Never underestimate the ability of government to stick its nose into the business of freedom-loving citizens. But generally speaking, the general hobby of "SCUBA diving" is amazingly unregulated, and is managed by the private entities involved in the hobby. This is an exception to the rule for the most part, and it is likely that as soon as government do-gooders are made sufficiently aware of this, they will no doubt work to enact freedom-limiting regulation, simply for the sake of doing so. After all, the citizens can't be allowed to go around doing things without government oversight. It might encourage people to start thinking for themselves and develop some independence from government - and we can't have that.

The only one that I know of is the Endangered Species Act and the only place that I am aware it is enforced is Spring Lake in San Marcos Texas.

I am glad the government has kept their noses out of scuba so far. I thought that the scuba industry ran way to smoothly and efficiently for it to be government regulated. From my experience as soon as the government starts to regulate things they rapidly start to get more complicated and and expensive, like fishing and driving a car.
Thank you all, for confirming my suspicions.
feel free to continue leaving more comments, I and others will enjoy reading them. (especially the humorous ones "Nudediver and John B")

Doctors are certified by a board that was created by and run by Doctors. Lawyers are in the same boat. For the most part, a certifying agency is not government run, unless the government is left leaning and bent on controlling it's populace. Scuba is in the category of self regulated mainly because the industry has done a very good job or being pro-active in safety and uniform standards. Despite the "bragging" that goes on with regards to who is better, the fact remains that all certifying agencies have been doing a very good job in creating safe divers, as the statistics prove out yearly.

Doctors are certified by a board that was created by and run by Doctors. Lawyers are in the same boat. For the most part, a certifying agency is not government run, unless the government is left leaning and bent on controlling it's populace.
Ah, but doctors and lawyers are issued a license by a government authority. Without that license, they can have all the certifications that they want and still not have the legal authority to engage in their activities. This is not the case with divers.

When I first started diving I "certified" myself by reading books about diving, teaching myself the navy tables, and most importantly watching Sea Hunt, Flipper, and Jacque Cousteau specials.
It worked out pretty good for about 20 years. Then I got a real c-card from an instructor who traded me a cert for a pony bottle I had that he wanted. That worked out good for me too.

pittyyofool:
Is there any US or state laws regulating the physical act of scuba diving?

Many states require divers to display a dive flag when diving in navigable waters. The International rules of the road require boats to display the alpha flag when limited in their ability to maneuver because they are conducting underwater operations, including divers. Some localities have ordinances requiring the use of a snorkel and/or having a buddy.

pittyyofool:
Is there any US or state laws regulating scuba certification agencies?

Some states have regulations with regard to professional training requiring registration of the school. That applies to instructor certifications.

pittyyofool:
What makes padi, naui and ssi etc. a scuba certification agency,

The fact that they issue SCUBA certifications makes them SCUBA certification agencies.

pittyyofool:
who allows them to hand out C-cards?

In the US, if it is not prohibited by law (the opposite is true for the federal government), it is allowed. They do not have to be allowed. They can do anything not prohibited by law. You can legally issue certifications, recognition may be a problem, but it's perfectly legal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom