Scuba masks suck.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scoobert

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So after doing between 50 and 60, zero visibility dives, cleaning boat bottoms.
I have finally done my first recreational dive with visibility.

Now that I have something to look at underneath the water, I am questioning why scuba mask sucks so bad.

My scuba mask gives me a super small window to see out of and I found it very difficult to find the tour guide.

Now that I've seen my first items underwater, I am completely addicted.

I am considering getting a full face mask. I can think of two reasons I want it. One of them is visibility, so I can have a wider arc of view. The other is for safety. Seeing as how almost all problems underwater resulting in death. Are from a person going unconscious and losing their regulator? It seems that this would solve that individual problem. But for the life of me I can't figure out why they're not more common? I know they're expensive, but is that the only reason?

So after doing between 50 and 60, zero visibility dives, cleaning boat bottoms.
I have finally done my first recreational dive with visibility.

Now that I have something to look at underneath the water, I am questioning why scuba mask sucks so bad.

My scuba mask gives me a super small window to see out of and I found it very difficult to find the tour guide.

Now that I've seen my first items underwater, I am completely addicted.

I am considering getting a full face mask. I can think of two reasons I want it. One of them is visibility, so I can have a wider arc of view. The other is for safety. Seeing as how almost all problems underwater resulting in death. Are from a person going unconscious and losing their regulator? It seems that this would solve that individual problem. But for the life of me I can't figure out why they're not more common? I know they're expensive, but is that the only reason?
Did you ever consider that it’s just your scuba mask that sucks? I love my Tusa Paragons and have a great field of view…

Did you ever consider that it’s just your scuba mask that sucks? I love my Tusa Paragons and have a great field of view…
It could be. I simply picked the one that sealed perfectly to my face. It was about $100 mask, which is typically into the good category as far as I'm aware.

Sounds like your mask does suck. For me, I've gone through several dive masks, and I prefer "low-profile" masks, which are often used by freedivers (snorkelers). They sit very close to the diver's eye, so that you can't really see much of the frame. Such as this one from DGX, or this one from Mako, each one is about $40. The owner of Mako personally guarantees a fit, and will issue a refund if it does not fit your particular face.

The other nice thing about low-profile masks is that there is a small volume inside. This means that when completely flooded, they take less gas to clear -- I can clear a fully-flooded mask with less than 1 breath.

As for full-face masks, no, they are not strictly safer. It's true that they solve certain dive safety problems, but they also introduce new safety problems. Such as, when you run out of gas, what is your procedure for accepting gas from your buddy? FFM's have good use-cases, like where verbal communication is required, and the FFM is paired with a mic to talk to people topside. I see the divers doing feedings inside of aquariums often use a FFM, for example. And even when they're not strictly needed, some people do just like them better for funsies. But safety, IMHO, is not a huge win in their favor, more of a mixed bag.

I have always dived with a pony. I keep a 13 cubic foot to go with my 98 low pressure.
I've been planning on adding an additional 19 cubic feet to my dive setup. So I would do a primary regulator with switching valves. And I would also use an adapter. In the second spot, to run a second octo on my 13 cubic foot.

Agree. I have had various masks, several with wide ranging views and one (my favourite) with a pretty narrow view range. Maybe wearing glasses until age 51 (I'm 68) made it easy to adjust? How much peripheral vision do you seek?

Agree. I have had various masks, several with wide ranging views and one (my favourite) with a pretty narrow view range. Maybe wearing glasses until age 51 (I'm 68) made it easy to adjust? How much peripheral vision do you seek?
I want to look down and record a video, of a cuttlefish, and look back up and have my tour guide in my field of view somewhere. My problem is I would be done with the video and my guide would be somewhere off behind me and it would take me a while to figure out where he was. I also could not locate my dive buddy LOL. This is really the first time I've ever dove with anybody else outside of my class.

Sounds like a skills issue. I recommend putting the camera away, and diving more. Over time, your ability to keep track of things while diving will improve. When you are comfortable keeping track of the rest of the group and especially your buddy, pick the camera back up. I think you'll find that the shape of your mask has little to do with your ability to be a competent dive buddy.

Sounds like a skills issue. I recommend putting the camera away, and diving more. Over time, your ability to keep track of things while diving will improve. When you are comfortable keeping track of the rest of the group and especially your buddy, pick the camera back up. I think you'll find that the shape of your mask has little to do with your ability to be a competent dive buddy.

This would first require me to want to have a dive buddy. I don't. Other than this tour guide, I would dive alone. Problem is it takes two to go on a boat. I do however need to track your guides.

You’re supposed to just agree with him

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom