SCUBA Presenters Wanted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stingray1:
I never said anything about being stictly a rec. diver, nor strictly on a professional level. Do you not have S&R in your certifing agency? I do and expanded on it. I don't always agree with the agencies. It's usually feed the shop which I usually do not. I dove for 16 years before ever getting a certification and I'm still alive because of my common sense and quick adaptability to changing conditions I'm a natural in zero vis and with lifting techniques as well as search procedures.
I wasn't criticizing you - I genuinely wanted to know how that type of diving was considered legally. There was another thread recently about a diver who died (I think it was somewhere in Canada) while doing something under a boat (I don't remember all the details, and I can't find the thread). Anyway, there was some discussion about rec divers doing pro work - and the legal aspects and laws around it. Apparantly even something like recovering golfballs was a no-no for rec divers. I was simply curious as to where the line is - brianwl probably nailed it with: 'Wether one gets paid........'
Yes I have done some training in S&R, but as far as I remember it came with Rescue - not before. Also I didn't learn how to use a lift bag until IANTD Overhead Environment.
I agree that free exchange of information is fine - my question was only about the legal side of doing S&R for money.

KimLeece:
I wasn't criticizing you - I genuinely wanted to know how that type of diving was considered legally. There was another thread recently about a diver who died (I think it was somewhere in Canada) while doing something under a boat (I don't remember all the details, and I can't find the thread). Anyway, there was some discussion about rec divers doing pro work - and the legal aspects and laws around it. Apparantly even something like recovering golfballs was a no-no for rec divers. I was simply curious as to where the line is - brianwl probably nailed it with: 'Wether one gets paid........'
Yes I have done some training in S&R, but as far as I remember it came with Rescue - not before. Also I didn't learn how to use a lift bag until IANTD Overhead Environment.
I agree that free exchange of information is fine - my question was only about the legal side of doing S&R for money.
I did not take it much to heart or I would have really flamed you. As far as a rec diving is concerned it is legal to do whether for pay or not so long as the item is no larger than an outboard motor. However I sometimes bring much larger items than that and I always do it for pay. It's economics, I have a skill others have a need, I profit, they get there possesion back. I own a small construction co. and frequently do dock work because of this my insurance covers me in the recovery aspects as well. difference in insurances as well some will others won't. Mine does.
Many that try it do not understand the laws of gasses and masses and the like relevent in heavier recovery let alone the proper ways to tie off on the item you are tring to recover simply put too many are to inexperienced enough and not quick enough to adapt to an ever changing enviroment when trying to lift an item. Thus resulting in injury or worse. I do agree with many who say it should be limited to the size of an outboard motor for them reasons. Another aspect involved with larger items is the type of equipment needed. Regular rec. lift bags seldom cut it. You have to go to professional lift bags that require a different type of inflation such as the case with boulder and pillow bags. They are best done remotely and from a distance. This kind of work is generally done with an extra bottle and a gate valve and 50 ft of air hose. Thus putting the diver out of harms way when things go sour.
As far as it coming before or after rescue.......difference in training agencies. Just like everything else, everyone has their own view how things should be done and if they can't change it to their liking they start a new agency. Think about it. Theres more truth there then just on the surface. Why so many different agencies.
Ask your LDS if it is legal through your certifing agency to accept money for light underwater recovery. Then again it may be just that we are in different hemispheres and your laws may prohibit it. But check on it. It will make you a more informed diver for your area.

Norman

I was looking for a presentation but if you would like to do a presentation and demonstration we could set up something like that. I would rather set up something like that at a private site that we have access to. In that site we have several boats and a car that could be lifted and moved. We also have a boat that on shore that could be put in the water and placed. We also have several large empty cylinders that were filled with water treatment water. They are fiberglass and are appriximately 10 foot diameter by 20 foot long. Depths at this site is only around 25 foot maximum and averages 20 feet.

The private shallow site would be better because not all the club members are very experienced or capable of handling the cold at depth.

jerrynuss:
I was looking for a presentation but if you would like to do a presentation and demonstration we could set up something like that. I would rather set up something like that at a private site that we have access to. In that site we have several boats and a car that could be lifted and moved. We also have a boat that on shore that could be put in the water and placed. We also have several large empty cylinders that were filled with water treatment water. They are fiberglass and are appriximately 10 foot diameter by 20 foot long. Depths at this site is only around 25 foot maximum and averages 20 feet.

The private shallow site would be better because not all the club members are very experienced or capable of handling the cold at depth.
I wouldn't take anyone deep anyway's unless the're trained for it. I had just planned on getting a camera somewhere and taking someone capable of depth, like brian. And hope that he can take picutures lol.

If that is the case I could shoot video. Depth is not a problem for me especially if it is just someplace as shallow as Mermet.

I just clicked on your omniscuba link. I've been in a couple of Terry Trueblood's class for the MTU. I am a Police Officer at SIUC so I've heard of him that way.

I have a Powerpoint presentation & photos on diving in overhead environments (cavern, cave, wreck, deco) that includes why not to do it, proper training to do it, the benefits even to OW divers of OH training, and the gear and expense involved. Of course the presentation is supplemented with display of appropriate gear.

Contact me if interested in having me do it for your group.

theskull

theskull:
I have a Powerpoint presentation & photos on diving in overhead environments (cavern, cave, wreck, deco) that includes why not to do it, proper training to do it, the benefits even to OW divers of OH training, and the gear and expense involved. Of course the presentation is supplemented with display of appropriate gear.

Contact me if interested in having me do it for your group.

theskull
Can I come to your presentation too? I'd love to see one on cave diving and overheads. Oh, you're invited to the S&R one Stingray1 and I are planning.

Brian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom